Canning today 2023 Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm retired, I don't work. I sleep a good 7.5 to 8 hours a night, like a baby.
This is our busiest time of the year, harvest time. Never enough hours in a day to can, freeze, dehydrate, food for winter. I know people that do twice what I do and they are amazing.

You sincerely are my inspiration though, Bliss.
Thanks! We all gotta eat, right? I just shop in my basement.
I'm going to inventory the canned food in jars because I've run out of used jars, we're starting to use new cases of jars this week.

You said something like this a year or two before! In striving to reduce food waste, I started to shop my fridge and pantry before going to the store. It has been a game-changer!

You said something like this a year or two before! In striving to reduce food waste, I started to shop my fridge and pantry before going to the store. It has been a game-changer!
Yes, I probably did. I broke my foot a few years ago and while I was healing I got in the habit of asking mr bliss to bring up a case of food each week. I'd say, 'will you go shopping downstairs' and I'd give him the list! I slowly healed and get my own shopping list now. Besides going up and down stairs is good exercise lol. I keep a few lists of what we have in the basement in my junk drawer in the kitchen (especially spices and salt/food chemicals). I still struggle to remember all the things we have by memory.
It saves money, for sure! And we use what we have.

Of the things I have canned this year, everything turned out tasty - even the relish though I will leave out the celery seed next year - Everything but one thing: My bread and butter pickles. I think the recipe used was the one that "Aunt Bea from Andy Griffin" used to make her pickles which Barney dubbed "Kerosene Cucumbers." Last year's had a good flavor, but were sort of mushy. This years were crisp, but tasted like something that could be dubbed Kerosene Cucumbers. Does anyone have a TNT recipe for bread and butter pickles that are both crisp and tasty?

Disclaimer: The Aunt Bea mentioned in this post is not affiliated with our own beloved @Aunt Bea here on DC!

I use this recipe for sweet sour pickles but they are called a bread and butter pickle. (I use less sugar, and no cayenne peppers) https://www.emerils.com/127175/emerils-homemade-sweet-and-spicy-pickles
The pickle crisp is calcium chloride and it helps keep the pickles crisp. Most people like these pickles.
  • 3 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
  • 2 cups sliced onions
  • 1/2 cup pickling salt
  • 6 cups water
  • 3 cups white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 10 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic
  • 24 dried cayenne peppers