Carrot and Parsnip Mash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
No real recipe -
I personally do about 2 carrots to 1 parsnip, carrots are sweeter. Sometimes parsnips can be a bit bitter, especially older ones. But have see all ratio's listed in some recipes, from equal to opposites.

I boil 'em up separately, very tender so able to mash without too much difficulty. A fair amount of salt while boiling.

Just a rough mash with the potato masher and lots of butter. You can add chives, scallions or even just parsley for pretties!

I want to try Sainsbury's Gratin as well as one by Chef John's Gratin . Both sound very yummy.

Yeah, we make a lot of puree's at the restaurant. Parsnip is one of my favorites. I steam them, skin on, then peel them. I use a manual food mill and run that first through the large holed disk and then the smallest, it removes almost all of the fiber. I then put this puree in the vitamix along with some butter and generally some parmigiana reggiano. This makes a very smooth puree with a mouthfeel that I'm looking for and of course taste, never any bitterness.

No real recipe -
I personally do about 2 carrots to 1 parsnip, carrots are sweeter. Sometimes parsnips can be a bit bitter, especially older ones. But have see all ratio's listed in some recipes, from equal to opposites.

I boil 'em up separately, very tender so able to mash without too much difficulty. A fair amount of salt while boiling.

Just a rough mash with the potato masher and lots of butter. You can add chives, scallions or even just parsley for pretties!

I want to try Sainsbury's Gratin as well as one by Chef John's Gratin . Both sound very yummy.
That sounds good plain, just mashed. Squash, sweet potato, carrot/parsnips, those are all naturally sweet and I usually eat them with greens on the side.

Here's a recipe for a carrot parsnip ginger soup.
2 cups carrots chopped
1 cup parsnips chopped
1 small red onion chopped
½ cup of red lentils
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup nondairy milk
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp garlic
¼ tsp black pepper
Substitute items to meet your dietary needs and what you have on hand.

Parsnips (and carrots too) will get a little bitter in storage. The phenolic content goes up and phenolic compounds act in concert with vitamins and alone as anti-oxidants. Embrace a little bitterness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom