Chief's Easy Fruit Gelato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This gelato is easy to make, with ingredients you probably already have. In this version, I use strawberries, though you can just as easily use cherries, blueberries, chokecherries, apple, or even banana, or stone fruits, basically, any fruit you want. One note, if using papaya, pineapple, or kiwi, these must be cooked to neutralize the tenderizing enzymes in the raw fruit. It's summer, so make up some yummy gelato to cool your soul.

Strawberry Gelato

Place blue freezer bowl into your freezer overnight to make sure it’s as cold as it can get (if you have a chest freezer, that will get it colder than the freezer that’s attached to your refrigerator).

Ingredients:
• 1 pound fresh strawberries
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• ¾ cup milk
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• ½ cup heavy whipping cream
Instructions
1. Wash and hull the strawberries and rinse in cold water.
2. Using a potato masher, crush the strawberries with the lemon juice and sugar in a glass, or stainless steel bowl. If you want, you can put everything into a blender or food processor and process until liquefied. I like mine with bits of strawberries distributed in the gelato.
3. Add the milk and whisk until smooth.
4. Whip the cream with a wire whisk until it until it just starts to thicken.
5. Add the thickened cream to the strawberry mixture whisk together thoroughly.
6. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze on the lowest speed setting
7. Gelato is ready to eat after 45 minutes or so.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Question and Suggestion…

Q: I often make pineapple sherbets and sorbets and have never felt the need to cook the pineapple… can you elaborate on your suggestion?

S: Consider macerating your fruit with the sugar (or lemon juice/sugar solution) for 30-60 minutes before hand. It'll improve texture and flavor.

Question and Suggestion…

Q: I often make pineapple sherbets and sorbets and have never felt the need to cook the pineapple… can you elaborate on your suggestion?

S: Consider macerating your fruit with the sugar (or lemon juice/sugar solution) for 30-60 minutes before hand. It'll improve texture and flavor.

I believe the uncooked pineapple, and other fruits mentioned will work for the fool. I do know that those fruits, uncooked, will keep gelatin from setting. I just through that cooking part in to be safe.

This is probably a stupid question but I ask it out of ignorance, not to be a smart Alek. Why blue?

I haven't used my ice cream freezer in years. You got me thinking I need to start it up again.

:LOL: My freezer bowl of my ice cream maker is blue. Yours doesn't need to be. Sorry 'bout that. Sometimes I'm just too literal :rolleyes:.

Back
Top Bottom