(raising hand high in the air above everyone shouting "I KNOW, I KNOW")
The answer is: You're not eating them fast enough
Sorry, I wish I knew but I know nothing about cooking/baking with chocolate. I did a little searching and I went straight from cheesecakes to dogs in one fell swoop with an ocassional spotted chocolate cat reference.
As for the spotted chocolate . . . hang on while I pick my way through the books on the floor and get my Wilton candy book off its shelf (and Explorer, don't you DARE disconnect me while I'm gone!! )
Well. Will wonders never cease: I'm still connected. Now for the book!
Oh, well . . . there is an entire chapter on making all manner of chocolates, but no problem-solver chart. The only thing I find via a fast scan is a caution to be sure not even a drop of water gets into the chocolate during the tempering process, because this will render the chocolate permanently stiff and unmoldable. There is also a caution about not making chocolates when humidity is high. No cigar there either. Maybe Wilton has a web site? Sorry I can't be more help here .
Why does the chocolate sometimes get a white layer on top?
When a thin layer of fat crystals forms on the surface of the chocolate, it is called fatbloom. It means the chocolate has lost its gloss and a soft white layer appears, giving the finished article an unappetizing look. Fatbloom is caused by the recrystallization of the fats and/or a migration of a filling fat to the chocolate layer. Storage at a constant temperature will delay the appearance of fatbloom.
I stumbled across the following while browsing another site. Hope it helps.
(And I hope this works!)
Okaaaay, let's try again.
There we go! My, my, will wonders never cease.
It sounds as if the cocoa butter has separated, and you'll need to re-temper the chocolate.
When you temper the same chocolate a number of times, the chocolate develops white spots. This is called "Blooming". You can eliminate these blooms by keeping your chocolate over a double boiler on a low heat while making your candies. These blooms will not hurt you, they are just a little unsightly.
Phew!!!!!! That's my philosophy too - I can stay up all night to get something done - no problem. But if I go to bed at say........ at even 7:00 PM........... don't even think I can get up at 5:30 even then!!! LOL