Dinner for Tues. 10/16/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been so impressed by Netflix four part show, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat with Samin Nosrat. She is an absolute breath of fresh air and so very likeable with her infectious laugh.

I highly recommend it to all the cooks here. It is guaranteed to both entertain and inspire.

After watching her simple approach to roast chicken, I'm following her lead tonight and found her recipe method on line.

https://www.atthekitchentable.com/food/samins-nosrats-buttermilk-marinated-chicken/

What's going on at your house today?

Last edited:
In fact, I'm roasting a chicken tonight as well. I'm following the Serious Eats recipe for a spatchcocked chicken. Stuffing and roast butternut squash are also on the menu.

Supposed to be cold all day but, this is Missouri... :wacko:

Stayed with plan and made chili with beans and corn bread.. Pretended it was cold out..

Ross

Well, heck, I was going to have a taco salad tonight, but I have a friend I'm going to call at about 6pm (he's in the Midwest) and by the time we get through talking, I'm going to be too tired and it'll be too late to make anything. So I think it's good old Jack in the Box tonight.

Next time I shop, I'm going to have to get a couple of cans of soup or some chili so I can make a quick meal when I have to.

I'm going to re-purpose some leftovers tonight. Too much good food in the fridge to make something new tonight.

Maybe some braised pork tacos.

CD

Supermarket had a sale on boneless strip steaks for $6 / lb., so we had dry brined steak on the grill, roasted sweet potatoes, nuked asparagus. I can't remember the last time we had steaks, but they were pretty good tonight.

My version of chicken San Marino, tomato/potato/basil dish, and a Puglia potato focaccia.

Attachments

• 2018-10-16 18.29.14.jpg
    2018-10-16 18.29.14.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 2018-10-16 18.28.50.jpg
    2018-10-16 18.28.50.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 113
In fact, I'm roasting a chicken tonight as well. I'm following the Serious Eats recipe for a spatchcocked chicken. Stuffing and roast butternut squash are also on the menu.

...and it looked like this:

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5358.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5358.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 121
That's a pretty picture of a nice dinner Andy. My buttermilk chicken has just been put on to roast. Dinner will be slightly late here.

Med, that looks delicious too!

Grrr...no photo's here as I want to forget about my whole roasted chicken as soon as possible.:mad:
It's been years since I've roasted a horizontal chicken and now I remember why. The buttermilk overnight gave it a great flavor but the cooking was so uneven it had to be returned to the oven twice and naturally the back skin wasn't brown. Ack.

I always roast chickens standing at attention and they turn out evenly cooked and perfect every time. Never again will I roast another lazy chicken on her back. So there.:chicken:

Grrr...no photo's here as I want to forget about my whole roasted chicken as soon as possible.:mad:
It's been years since I've roasted a horizontal chicken and now I remember why. The buttermilk overnight gave it a great flavor but the cooking was so uneven it had to be returned to the oven twice and naturally the back skin wasn't brown. Ack.

I always roast chickens standing at attention and they turn out evenly cooked and perfect every time. Never again will I roast another lazy chicken on her back. So there.:chicken:

The only way I cook a whole chicken is on a rotisserie on the Weber Kettle. Even cooking and brown skin every time! :chef:

CD

Try it spatchcocked. This method really works. I told Craig I wanted to try a turkey made this way.

The only way I cook a whole chicken is on a rotisserie on the Weber Kettle. Even cooking and brown skin every time! :chef:

CD

Try it spatchcocked. This method really works. I told Craig I wanted to try a turkey made this way.

Try this. I've done it a few times and have been very happy with the results. I just haven't figured out how to stuff it like Andy did. :)

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/grilled-butterflied-chicken-recipe.html

Beer can chicken works well, too. I use white wine instead of beer.

I don't have a rotisserie but I've done spatchcocked chicken several times with good results. My favorite method is a standing chicken though, with or without beer or wine. A standing chicken is easy to carve too.

I know for sure the yard bird episode from last night will not happen again.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom