Dry aging bone-in prime rib at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see no problem with aging meat at home if you have a "Tried and True" way to go about it. Okay, some do it this way, some the other. What's really important here is the sharing of different ideas and techniques. Just goes to prove that no one has the ONLY way.

Well, I'm still here. So are the dinner guests I've served over the years - or at least those who didn't die from other causes. My dad, who was a trained butcher and also aged meat the way I described, lived well into his 80s. I guess I'll take my chances. The rest of you aseptically sterile types can eat the way you like. ;)
I think you took me the wrong way. I am not saying you should not do it. I was just pointing out that your comment about what people did years ago really doesn't help prove your point.

I tried it a few times and am still here. I used a couple of different methods. One time I wrapped the meat in cheescloth that had been soaked in salt water and then dried. I changed the cheescloth every day with a dry one and soaked the used one in salt water and dried it. I did this for about a week. The meat was nice but nothing excepionally different. I probably could have left it longer, 'cus there were no noticable smells or flavors. But, I was getting a bit nervous so I ate it after a week.

With a <7 day time frame technique is less critical , within reason of course. If you intend to go >2 up to 4 weeks, technique is critical.

For my tastes, 12 days would be the minimum. I usually pull the plug @ 16days for piece of mind on large cuts. If I intend to go 3+ weeks I use a small cut. At less than a week you have merely glimpsed the possibilities of flavor and tenderness.

If I had a source for properly dry aged rib within an hours drive, I would pay dearly for it.

Time to wrap presents and make my equally famous Cannolis.

Happy Holidays everybody!
Bumpy

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom