Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't you try to reconstitute it, with a little liquid of some sort? It doesn't look burned, and I use more dried eggplant than fresh, after soaking it a few hours.

Didn't you try to reconstitute it, with a little liquid of some sort? It doesn't look burned, and I use more dried eggplant than fresh, after soaking it a few hours.
Maybe the picture doesn't quite do justice to just how much I destroyed it Pepperhead? And bear in mind I was only expecting to use the flesh, not the skin. There really was no rescuing it! (And given my ambivalence about Eggplant anyway, not a lot of enthusiasm either. :whistling )

Yeah, I've always roasted eggplant whole with some oil on the outside and some holes poked in the skin. Never heard of cutting it in half, unless it's a HUGE eggplant maybe.

I've seen a few recipes that say to cut in half, oil cut surface, and you place the cut side down to roast.

But each eggp lant is different in size and texture, also ovens. I think you have to watch it carefully and start checking it a lot sooner than your recipe says.

I've seen a few recipes that say to cut in half, oil cut surface, and you place the cut side down to roast.

But each eggp lant is different in size and texture, also ovens. I think you have to watch it carefully and start checking it a lot sooner than your recipe says.
The picture in the recipe I was using showed a skin that was blistered and ready to fall off. So I was expecting something similar. I used the oven temp given, and the timings suggested. But when I took it out of the oven, I had the results I pictured. The skin hardly looked any different to when I put it in! But it was basically hollow. I don't think it helped that the eggplant was getting a little on the old side.

I do accept full responsibility for error here though!

Last edited:
Maybe the picture doesn't quite do justice to just how much I destroyed it Pepperhead? And bear in mind I was only expecting to use the flesh, not the skin. There really was no rescuing it! (And given my ambivalence about Eggplant anyway, not a lot of enthusiasm either. :whistling )
Well, then, just remember that it might taste good. So, next time you have a chance to sample some baba ganoush, give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom