Freezing Pesto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VegasDramaQueen

Senior Cook
I was at Trader Joe's this morning and they brought in a shipment of the most gorgeous and freshest basil ever so I bought a huge bunch. I want to make pesto to put on pasta but I live alone I can't eat a lot of pasta at one time and my kids don't like it. (What do they know?) I have never made this much and am wondering if it can be frozen. Will the basil turn black or will the olive oil keep it from coloring in the freezer??? Has anyone actually done this and if so I need your advice. How long will it keep in the freezer? :ermm:

Yes, you can freeze your pesto. In fact, it is recommended that you put the pesto into the compartments of ice cube trays, freeze it, then pop them out and put into ziplock bags for storage in your freezer.

For more information and tips, perform a Google search for frozen pesto

As Caine suggested, freeze in ice cube trays and then transfer to ziplog bags. Leave out the Parmesan cheese though as it doesn't freeze well. Once it's thawed, add the cheese before serving. The layer of olive oil prevents it from freezer burn. The pesto will turn sllightly blackish on top.

As everyone has said yes, it can be frozen without the cheese. One thing I do to keep it bright green, never heat it..I just let it defrost, come to room temp and add it and the cheese to piping hot pasta.. and for an added touch, if you like tomatoes, chop some up put in seperate bowl and spoon on your dressed pasta at the table...YUM

kadesma:)

Such a strange time for beautiful basil - I wonder where T.J's gets the stuff. I freeze it in the summer when I have too much in my garden.

Barbara said:
Such a strange time for beautiful basil - I wonder where T.J's gets the stuff. I freeze it in the summer when I have too much in my garden.
Barbara,
TJ's in the freezer section has a cute little box partitioned into cubes filled either with chopped basil,cilantro,parsley or garlic. I keep them on hand for when I'm in a hurry or I want to add any of them to soups or stews. The garlic is wonderful in most things, no peeling or crushing just drop them in or on they defrost quickly.

kadesma:)

Here is a list of things I love to do with Basil whenever I get an 'overload' most freeze, one at least does not, but uses up some of the surplus. What a nice predicament to be in!

BASIL - HARVESTING/KEEPING

BASIL PUREE: Process 4 c. loosely packed basil leaves & 1 cup EVO (or 8-oz. can tomato sauce) in a food processor till basil is finely chopped.
Spoon mixture into ice-cube trays (or whatever), & freeze.
Store frozen puree in freezer bags up to 6 mos.

Use anywhere you need a burst of fresh basil flavor: in soups, sauces, or salad dressings.
Thaw & add to marinades, or drizzle over grilled meats & vegies.

BASIL PESTO: Process -
4 c. loosely packed basil leaves
6 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup each: shredded Parm, toasted pine nuts, & EVO
in a processor till smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Spoon mix into trays & freeze.

Store mix. in freezer bags up to 6 mos. Makes 2 cups.
Pesto is great to have on hand for last minute hors d' oeuvres.
It can stand alone as a dip & also works as a spread for pizzas & sandwiches.

BASIL-GARLIC BUTTER:
Process -
1 cup softened butter
2 garlic cloves till smooth.
Add:
1/2 cup firmly packed basil leaves, & pulse 3-4 times or till basil is finely chopped.
Store in Refrig up to 1 week, or freeze up to 4 mos. Makes 1 cup.
If desired, shape butter into a log; wrap, chill then freeze in log or cut in circles.

Serve w/hot crusty French bread or baked potatoes.
Toss w/hot, cooked pasta and Parm cheese or steamed veggies.

Try it on a grilled cheese w/mozz, sliced tomatoes, & crumbled bacon.

PESTO-GOAT CHEESE SPREAD:
Process -
11-oz. log goat cheese
8-oz. pkg. softened cream cheese
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/2 c. toasted pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
2 T. balsamic vinegar in food processor till smooth.

Chill 2 hrs. before serving. Makes 3 cups.

Store in frig up to 1 week, or freeze up to 4 mos.
Serve w/toasted pita chips or sliced baguettes.

Shape cheese mix. into logs, & wrap, slice chilled logs into 1/2" rounds. Dip rounds in lightly beaten egg; dredge in Italian breadcrumbs. Pan-fry over med-high heat in a little butter 1 min. or each side or till golden, & serve warm over a crisp, gr. salad.`

LEMON-BASIL MAYO:
Process -
2 c. mayo
1 garlic clove - in processor till smooth. Add -
1/2 c. firmly packed basil leaves
1 T. grated lemon rind - pulse 3-4 times or till basil is finely chopped.
Store IN rig up to 1 weeks. Makes 2 cups. DO NOT FREEZE.

Even tho this won't freeze, it's unbelievably delicious w/a bowl of grape tomatoes or on a turkey sandwich.
Use it in place of plain mayo in deviled eggs or main dish salads; it's also great w/chicken, shrimp, or tuna.
Try it instead of tartar sauce the next time on favorite fish.

i keep mine frozen in a plastic jar. it's easy to get the amount i want to use with a heavy-duty fork.

I froze a bunch of pesto this past summer in roughly 3/4 C portions - drizzled a little olive oil over the top first. Let it thaw in the refrigerator and it is like you just made it!

Wow thanks to all of you for your expert advice and some good ideas along with it. Thanks especially to CJS for some great recipes. I won't be making pesto with ALL of the basil, some of those recipes look great. And I didn't remember that you shouldn't freeze parmesan cheese. Thanks again.

I froze mine with the parmesan, and it was fine. I leave the nuts out of mine, because I don't really care for them.
I know it's not really pesto without the nuts, but it's still awfully good, especially for soups and sauces.
By the way, I've frozen basil several ways. I like to run it through the food processor first...it emulsifies, capturing all the aroma in the oils. I then put in small ziplocs and squeeze all the air out, making a thin package. Once frozen, one can break off various sized pieces as needed.
I freeze the pesto in ice cube trays, though. Once frozen, I pop them out and into a ziplock bag. They're very handy!
I should mention...buy inexpensive plastic trays and reserve them for this purpose only. Spray with cooking spray before filling with pesto.

I do it all the time. In fact, I only have two jars left from last summer and my daughter has been eyeing them every time she comes home from school. I expect to discover they are gone one of these days.

I keep them in jars, but I don't boil/seal them. I just freeze the product. Even when it's frozen, you can always scrape off what you need because the oil prevents it from freezing to a solid state. The colour is a beautiful green.

I agree, I make pesto at the end of every summer, with the cheese and nuts, and put in the freezer. I have heard not to freeze the cheese and/or nuts, but I do all the time with no problems at all.

Constance said:
I froze mine with the parmesan, and it was fine. I leave the nuts out of mine, because I don't really care for them.
I know it's not really pesto without the nuts, but it's still awfully good, especially for soups and sauces.
By the way, I've frozen basil several ways. I like to run it through the food processor first...it emulsifies, capturing all the aroma in the oils. I then put in small ziplocs and squeeze all the air out, making a thin package. Once frozen, one can break off various sized pieces as needed.
I freeze the pesto in ice cube trays, though. Once frozen, I pop them out and into a ziplock bag. They're very handy!
I should mention...buy inexpensive plastic trays and reserve them for this purpose only. Spray with cooking spray before filling with pesto.

I do the same... I don't care for nuts either.

I had a really nice supply of sweet basil, purple basil, and thai basil, last summer. But I think the winter has killed all of it. :ermm:

PytnPlace said:
I agree, I make pesto at the end of every summer, with the cheese and nuts, and put in the freezer. I have heard not to freeze the cheese and/or nuts, but I do all the time with no problems at all.

Me, too all the way. Including the freezing process with cheese and nuts. We never experienced any problem, heck we even freeze parmigiano by themselves all the time!! Admitted, maybe not for snacking as it is, but it is more than sufficient for dressing pastas and risottos.

I freeze mine with both the parm and the nuts. Works for me. Like someone else, (kadesma?) I just let it defrost and let it come to room temp. before I use it. No problems.

BTW I usually use some parsley in with the basil. Not so strong a flavor, which is how we like it.

one more hearty vote for freezing the whole finished product. I freeze mine with the nuts and cheese in the pesto. The thawed product is wonderful, virtually like fresh pesto.

Thanks for all the receipes for basil. I live in the Bahamas and grow basil all year round. I love pesto and wondered if we could freeze it. Now I no. Thanks all Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom