Full Moon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Does the Full Moon affect behaviour?

• Total voters
i'm with that seasons deal. fall, i'm sad. summer, i wait for summer's end. winter, i flop into our 1st snow & whoop due to happiness, spring's kinda alright. i'm counting days till i see snow. i'm sorta avoiding fall by wearing my pink wool Victoria's coat often. i'm skipping my early class (it's hrs.) our 1st snow and going to my Parent's to do snow-angels. sigh, winter.

I vote nope! Lunar effects have nothing to do with human behavior. Although Carlos swears his patients at the mental health hospital used to have an unusual effect.

Also, the discovery of a slight effect of the moon on global temperature might have an effect on the growth of plants.

JMediger said:
As a teacher - YES, especially hormonal teenagers! But seriously, I do think it does ...

It even affects kids in elementary school...I was at the school & they were WILD!! After the full moon was gone, they were pretty much back to normal.

I have an aunt who is nurse & worked in the ER for many, many years & she says she can always tell it's a full moon without even going outside because of all the crazy people & injuries they have come in.

Anyway, I say yes.

I vote yes. I think some people can be more sensitive to it than others though. I notice, maybe because of the extra light, that I have trouble sleeping. This could also effect peoples behavior as well.

Cool thoughts folks! I figure if the lunar cycle affects women, then there is no reason it can't affect behaviour as well. I have seen some pretty wacky stuff at the full moon, people who are normally mild mannered getting a bit nutty. I'm not saying that other things don't affect behaviour as well, but I think something about the full moon lowers inhibitions. Keep those thoughts coming this is cool to read.

luvs said:
i'm with that seasons deal. fall, i'm sad. summer, i wait for summer's end. winter, i flop into our 1st snow & whoop due to happiness, spring's kinda alright. i'm counting days till i see snow. i'm sorta avoiding fall by wearing my pink wool Victoria's coat often. i'm skipping my early class (it's hrs.) our 1st snow and going to my Parent's to do snow-angels. sigh, winter.

I like spring and fall best! It all depends where you live too.

I vote NO, other than the very Obvious (it`s Lighter outside at night), there is no evidence to support the idea that it has an effect. However, for those mentioning about Mental Patients, it IS where the word LUNAtic comes form, Luna meaning Moon :)

Let's see--it takes the moon one month to revolve around the earth and once a month a revolution occurs in a woman's body and many women commit murder around that time----at least my husband hides the knives and stocks us up on Pamprin-----nnaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! No--I wouldn't say is there a correlation.

I believe it does. Let me explain why.

My father was a physician and NEVER went on a trip when there was a full moon unless he had another doctor filling in for him. It wasn't unusual for many of his pregnant patients to give birth on a full moon or the day before or day after. He was a firm believer in that phenomenon and it was borne out over many years of practice.

I also worked in a hospital and saw some evidence of more activity in the emergency room - violent-type injuries and accidents.

My area jails and prisons routinely put extra staff on duty during full moons.

It may sound like the things old wives' tales are made of, but I still feel there's some truth to it.

Katie

:) Im a girl and totally believe in lunar cycles if I around alot of women every day the all our cycles happen at the same time if Im not around alot of women its the full moon thats in control

An interesting question indeed. I am so firmly grounded in common sense I am nearly buried to the knees, But I do believe lunar cycles affect us. Human beings, particularly women, are tidal, just as the sea is. I believe I can endorse the comment made about babies keen to be born from my years of Ob nursing. There is no doubt grouped women go into menses together. There is no doubt planting by the moon works. So I vote yes. Perhaps we are to quick to label people a bit 'off' when they believe these things, but there are not just a few old wives tales that have proved to be well based in science. I do not confuse these effects with personal responsibily. DH was a highway patrol officer for years, and people went quite nutty on the full moon.

The original question was does the full moon affect human behavior. I think menses cycles and going into labor are not human behavior. There is no doubt the lunar cycles affect these female cycles. For decades my menstrual cycle ALWAYS started on the NEW moon.

When I worked night shift at the mental hospital, I desperately wanted to find a correlation between the full moon and some type of abnormal behavior, but it just was not there.

Beth, their comments are relevant in that they are supporting their opinions with the fact that lunar cycles affect our physical bodies so why not our behaviour. Since this is an opinion, you are entitled to yours, and others are entitled to theirs. No scientific evidence needs to be presented.

mudbug said:
The I think menses cycles and going into labor are not human behavior.

This statement puzzles me, Beth. What do you think they are?

I think of behavior as something we have control over. We control our thoughts, our actions, our words. From my observation, women do not have control over when they go into labor. Now I have never had children, but I am not aware women have control over when they will deliver their babies.

I think we just have different definitions of what constitutes human behavior. Maybe what I'm thinking of is not so much behavior as you define it but rather natural functions and longings.

Bearing young is not restricted to humans, of course, but it certainly can be controlled in humans by opting for a C-section. Can a woman stop/start her menses? How long can a human control hunger/thirst when there is no food/water?

I could control my preference for ice cream over bean sprouts, but that does not replace the longing for the ice cream.

Sure one has control over behaviour Beth. I seriously doubt anyone has sprouted hair and howled at full moon.

Back
Top Bottom