Garden 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katy, here in Texas many folks (not us) use propane tanks, the small ones for grills, with an attachment to kill weeds. There have been many grass fires started by this practice.
As I hope you noticed Marlingardener, I am very responsible. Also, I am using this in a very small area, with brick walls all around. There is no possibility of me causing a fire using this device.

sounds great! will have to look around for them here.
I could put up with a few brown spots in the middle of the lawn til it grows over - IF it also gets the roots!
Yes, there's the issue Dragon. I sort of love using it, but I am not sure if it is actually killing the roots!

I don't want to use chemicals to kill the weeds. I know they work, but I actually care about the flora and fauna and weedkillers don't just kill the weeds. So burning them is the most caring way of dealing with them I have found (so far).

Also, I am just using the weed burner to kill weeds that are popping up between paving slabs - not on a lawn.

Last edited:
@KatyCooks If you are interested in an organic weed killer, there is one I use that is simply based on clove oil and cinnamon oil, and it works on contact, so it has to be kept off of things I'm growing. I keep a dedicated sprayer with just that, and spray certain things - it won't kill every type of weed (it's not one of those that kills roots and all), and I have to be careful about where I put it, but it won't kill bees, and other beneficial insects, so that's a good thing.

Um... I don't actually cackle out loud... that would be mad... but inwardly I can't deny the satisfaction of watching them shrivel and die.... bwahahhahaa!! Oh dear...

Okay, to answer your question Dragon, it is a plug in device. I attach it to an extension cord and away I go!

It has a metal cup at the end and a stick that I hold onto. The cup heats up to a very high heat and you set it over a weed that is sitting (evilly) between your patio slabs - which shrivels and DIES!!!!

It is possible I like it too much....
I think it's unlikely that it will kill the roots, so the weeds will just grow back.

My peas are coming up!!!

Attachments

• peas_IMG_5250.jpg
    peas_IMG_5250.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 6
If you are interested in an organic weed killer, there is one I use that is simply based on clove oil and cinnamon oil, and it works on contact, so it has to be kept off of things I'm growing. I keep a dedicated sprayer with just that, and spray certain things - it won't kill every type of weed (it's not one of those that kills roots and all), and I have to be careful about where I put it, but it won't kill bees, and other beneficial insects, so that's a good thing.
Will it kill English Ivy, which is the bane of my life. I'd still be interested in hearing about it and how you use it along with what it will and will not kill. Especially since it won't harm bees, etc.

Yay for pea sprouts!

We have a weed dragon (attachment for the propane tank. It's great for the patio weeds!

I came across this in my Facebook memories today. It seems like a good idea to me. The caption reads,
Someone in the group shared this idea the other day so I gave it a try. It was awesome! Planted 66 onion bulbs this morning PERFECTLY spaced apart. Definitely will be doing this for my carrots.
182690843_10159455535567841_6520861589592258092_n.jpg

Will it kill English Ivy, which is the bane of my life. I'd still be interested in hearing about it and how you use it along with what it will and will not kill. Especially since it won't harm bees, etc.

Yay for pea sprouts!

We have a weed dragon (attachment for the propane tank. It's great for the patio weeds!
I don't know if it will work on ivy, but I will find out - I just sprayed some today, and made a slightly stronger mix, than the recommended mix. It is WeedZapby Safer Gro, and it calls for 6.4 oz/gallon of water - I just used 7 oz today, to see if it helps. I sprayed a bunch of different things with it - ivy just one of them, and I used less than half of it, and it's not something that degrades, waiting for the next use. Here's a photo showing some clusters of weeds growing around some chicken wire, that is impossible to weedwack, or hand weed them in any way, and after spraying this on them, here's the results.
WeedZap results on some clusters of weeds, that can not be weed wacked, because of the trellis. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The eggplants went in today, just a little more than 2 weeks after moving the pellets to those large pots. The ichiban were the largest of any, yet they were some of the slowest to germinate, since they were also the oldest! The batac was second, but had the most roots, as they were just starting to circle in the bottom of the pots.
Ichiban eggplant, planted 5-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Batac on L, and Louisiana Long Green, planted on 5-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

U of Hawaii long green eggplant L, and Choruoku green, planted on 5-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Only had one of all 7 of those String eggplant seeds I had left germinate. I remember last year's seeds germinated ok, but the 2 plants I had weren't even the same thing, but the 2 I gave a friend were the string EP, and she liked them. If this one looks and grows like it, I'll bag some blossoms and save some seeds.
Asian String eggplant, planted on 5-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Besides these plants, I just received some free seeds of Matrosik eggplant from someone, and while I am starting them 5 weeks later than the rest, I figured I'll get them in plenty of time, and they grow well in FL, so they should be able to stand the heat I have!

The cool thing about growing mushrooms is:
1) The unpredictability of when they will produce ( you have to check every day).
2) The rate at which they grow.

So 2 days ago, I noticed the straw on the mushroom beds pushing up. I thought it was one of the cats digging in the bed. Yesterday, I saw a few other areas pushed up, so I lifted up the straw and saw a few mushrooms ( wine cap mushrooms, first of the season). I was excited, picked one to show my wife, and figured Id give the rest another day of growth so I had enough to do something with. Today, I waited for my for my wife to come home to harvest ( My wife loves harvesting mushrooms), and this is what we found. There are still more out there. I had to run inside and get a larger bowl. All I came out with was a dinky little basket.

Wine cap mushrooms have a very mild mushroom flavor. They are more delicate, and not as firm as the typical white mushrooms.

The only thing I dont like about growing mushrooms outdoors, are the insects. Ideally want to harvest before the gills are exposed, so there are less places for the bugs to hide. They grow so fast, I didn't even have a chance.

Attachments

• Wine Cap 1.png
    Wine Cap 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Wine cap 2 .png
    Wine cap 2 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Wine cap 3 .png
    Wine cap 3 .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Oh WOW Larry - those are gorgeous! Looks like you got quite a few before the gills were exposed. Most certainly looked closed to me!

They are so pretty - have you eaten any raw? Must be delightful. I often eat the crimini raw while I'm cutting up the bigger ones. It's like a hint of what is to come (before you ruin it somehow, :rolleyes:, not saying any more, :cautious:).

My wife ate one raw and liked it. Im not much of a "Raw Mushroom" kinda guy. I prefer them cooked. Based on her description, it had a mild, mushroom flavor and not very dense. After boiling, then marinating, the texture is real nice. Soft, smooth, almost like a noodle. I rinsed them multiple times to make sure there were no bugs. Did notice a few slugs, which luckily I did not consume. I popped off al the stems, so make sure there were no hiding places. Their best quality, by far, is how prolific they are. This is my 3rd year with this bed. They produce usually in spring and fall, and by far paid for themselves. And so easy to grow, in a place nothing else will grow. My favorite mushroom , by far, is shiitake. The flavor is so good.

I'll have to start looking around up here for suppliers. Other than Nurseries which only sell pre-packaged kits, limited variety, outrageous prices. I'll keep checking.
I did check a couple of places from the States but they don't ship into Canada.

There are several places in the garden here that I'm sure they would do well.

At the same time I planted the eggplants, I planted some of the cucurbits I had started - just got the ones that had their first set of true leaves, and in the few days since, each one that has developed, I have also planted. Only a couple of the bitter melons haven't germinated, at least visibly. In the same tray, planted in pellets, some of the okra didn't germinate, while others had 100%, so for the 3 bad ones I soaked some more seeds for 24 hrs in GA-3 solution, and got sprouts in just that much time! I still put those tiny sprouts on some layers of moist PTs, and when larger, I'll put them in the pellets, as well as some outside, and I'll see which grows better.

Peppers go in tomorrow! Tonight is the last very cool night - in the low 50s - then it's warm, for good. And the next two days are in the 80s, for highs, which the peppers will love.
The larger pepper plants, the 4 on the left the Chinese varieties, about a week older. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The smaller 32 pepper plants, shown from the top, hardening off on the deck, 5-9 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The peppers are all in today - 34 total, of 16 varieties...I think. The first ones planted were the chinense varieties, on 3-19, so this is after 60 days - 13 days fewer for all others. The Aji Dulce were the fastest to sprout and grow, of the chinense - next year I'll have to start them maybe 5 days later, as they were getting a little rootbound, and the Datil were just starting to a few buds on them. And those others that were getting flower buds (that I try to pick off, but they were getting hard to keep up with!) - Thai vesuvius, Superchili, Jalapeño m, and Jalafuego - I'll start on 4-7, instead of 4-1.
Aji Dulce, getting ready to plant, and getting a little bit rootbound. 5-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Datil on L, with the Aji Dulce, planted on 5-11. I started these and the other chinense varieties on 3-19 this year. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I missed taking the photo of the Wartryx, because I took it out back to plant. It didn't get as large as the aji dulce, but some leaves are HUGE!

These two Pimiendo de Pedron were the only plants of any that did not look good, after planting (they also didn't grow as quickly as most), but later they perked up.
2 Joe E Parker on R, 2 Pimiendo de Pedron in M, and one Number 6-4. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2 Big Mic on L, 2 jalapeño M, and 2 Pumpkin spice jalapeño. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2 Hanoi Markets, on R, 2 Jalafuegos in M, and 1 Numex 6-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

3 Aruna in back, a Japanese Yatsufusa on R, and a Maui Purple. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2 Thai Vesuvius on R, a Thai Dragon on LF, and Jyoti on LB. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

6 more of some of the same peppers, in the front bed, in front of zinnias, and what will be some of the okras. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I didn't do much in my garden today, after helping my friends at their place, but did a few odds and ends out their. Also took a photo of that wartryx superhot pepper I planted yesterday. Of the chinense peppers, this had the largest leaves! Also photographed the larger tomato plants - the other of the 3 largest was the Brandyboy F1, but the photo looked like I was 10 feet away! Oh well...there will be more! Surprisingly, the cherries aren't up there with the largest, but it's only been a week (actually, 8 days) since planting.
Wartryx pepper plant, with some HUGE leaves! Planted 5-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Hippie Zebra tomatoes, some of the largest plants, a week after planting. 5-12 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Oaxacan Jewel tomatoes, two of the largest plants a week after planting. 5-12 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last night, and this morning I got some of my okra planted. I got 3 each of the Big Buck, and Star Of David, with one extra of each. Had a problem with Emerald (older seeds) and Hill Country Red (new this year), and got 2 and 1 of each, and needed 1 and 2 more of each, respectively, to fill their boxes. The Little Lucy also didn't all germinate, which are all saved seeds, and usually germinate very well. So a couple nights ago I soaked them in some of that KNO3 solution I use for peppers - I just got the idea when I saw the stuff on the shelf! I soaked about a dozen Little Lucy seeds, 6 HCR, and 4 Emerald, for 12 hours, then put them on damp PTs, and in less than 12 hours, the LL had several very small sprouts, and in another 12 hours, most of the LL had about 3/8" sprouts, only one each of the others, with a few more tiny sprouts started. So I planted 2 of the LL outside, directly, and all the rest in pellets - I'll wait and see which grows better. My friend will get all the extras, like she did those peppers and eggplants today!

Last edited:
No, I don't prune them, and they seem to grow very well! Those chinense peppers especially.
Ive never pruned either, but I always come across articles about pruning to create a bushier plant which theoretically produces more. I understand the logic behind it, but Im afraid to experiment with my plants, at the risk of messing up my season harvest. Maybe if I had an extra plant I'd give it a shot .

Ive never pruned either, but I always come across articles about pruning to create a bushier plant which theoretically produces more. I understand the logic behind it, but Im afraid to experiment with my plants, at the risk of messing up my season harvest. Maybe if I had an extra plant I'd give it a shot .
Same here, I read those articles and then I don't prune them at all. I have 100 plants and I still don't test the theory. If I do I'll let you both know. :D

Back
Top Bottom