German Cheesecake - made with Quark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floridagirl

Senior Cook
this recipe is handed down from my grandma

German Cheesecake
made with Quark​

Kaesekuchen.jpg
KaesekuchenStueck_detail.jpg

Crust:
200g / 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
65g / 1/2 stick unsaltetd butter
65g / 2 1/4 oz sugar
1 egg
pinch salt

Prepare a shortcrust and let rest in the refridgerator for 30 min. Roll out the dough on flour dusted working space. It should be slightly larger then the baking pan. Put on the bottom of the pan and form a high rim

Filling:
2 lbs quark (link to quark recipe)
5 eggs - separated
2 tbsp flour
3-6 tbsp milk (depending on the consistence of the quark)
10-12 tbsp sugar
dash of lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla sugar

Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy. Add the quark, lemon juice, flour and milk. Mix well. Whisk the egg whites stiff and fold in carefully. Pour the quark mix on the shortcrust. Bake for 1 - 1,5 hours at 160C / 320F. Turn off the heat, open the oven door and let it sit in the oven for 5 min. Take it out let the cake rest for a short while outside the oven and then overturn to a wire rack. Let cool completely. Finally remove the spring pan.

Last edited:
hmm, I made this recipe always with quark, but I substituted quark in other recipes with farmers cheese, (was the best alternative from all), ricotta, sometimes with a mix of creamcheese and ricotta. If you use ricotta you should drain it well. Unlike the ricotta, quark is very smooth with out those little granules. If I had to choose I would try the farmers cheese! I always use the Friendship brand.

But I have to say, especially for this recipe nothing is better than quark. :cool:

Quark Cheese

The dessert shown in the above images evinces a very good skill.

I made my first Quark cheesecake in 1989. (It was a chocolate-amaretto version.) Quark (aka Quarg or Kvarg) is a fresh cheese in the sense that it hasn't been matured for any length of time. It's made from skimmed milk that's been soured by the addition of a culture. It has a smooth & creamy consistency that belies the low-fat content, which is in the 2% to 10% range. Quark originates in Germany. It's a cottage cheese made, originally on farms, from surplus milk from which the cream has been skimmed.

According to Battistotti, Bottazzi, Piccinardi, & Volpato (authors of "Cheese: A Guide to the World of Cheese & Cheesemaking"), this "soft, acid-curd cheese...is most often eaten with fruit or vegetables and salads."

Quark-Cheesecake Filling:
1 lb Quark
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large free-range eggs
1.5 fl. oz. Amaretto di Saronno
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
3 oz. semisweet chocolate (or carob) chips
1 fl. oz. light cream

oh, thanks for the compliment. :)

And you are right Quark is a real German (also Austrian an Swiss) product, I already posted my 'how to make Quark' recipe in the ethnic section.

your cheesecake filling recipe with amaretto sounds delicious, hmmmm, I like Amaretto, I think I'll try that next week. :) Thanks for posting it!

OMG IT LOOKS SO "GANZ GUT"!!I am going to make this for my sweetheart's birthday next week!!:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom