Grocery store peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember as a kid growing up on a military base overseas, kids under 16 were not allowed in the commissary even when accompanied by a parent. Of course, very young children were excepted. They had a waiting area in the front lobby. I remember sitting there patiently with other kids while our mothers shopped for groceries.

I remember as a kid growing up on a military base overseas, kids under 16 were not allowed in the commissary even when accompanied by a parent. Of course, very young children were excepted. They had a waiting area in the front lobby. I remember sitting there patiently with other kids while our mothers shopped for groceries.

Genius! You might have something that the people aren't really aware of. This could be a stroke of being considered a genius. To resolve a big issue like this would help so many including the parents. Have a portion of the store sectioned off for 'Kids Only'. Fill the room with everything they would like. I just wonder if the mother's would go for it?

I sure would have..........all I had to do to make my son behave was threaten him with a trip to Sam's.......he abhorred staying in the "buggy".........but there was NO way that I was going to let him wander around in that place either...........he was difficult enough to keep up with.......but yes, having a small play center would sure be nice......we were in Ft. Richardson, Anchorage, Alaska, and they had a play station before entering the commissary and I was grateful as a kid not to have to look at toilet paper and different cuts of meat with my mom.........See what you can do, my dear............I'd certainly pay :)

I sure would have..........all I had to do to make my son behave was threaten him with a trip to Sam's.......he abhorred staying in the "buggy".........but there was NO way that I was going to let him wander around in that place either...........he was difficult enough to keep up with.......but yes, having a small play center would sure be nice......we were in Ft. Richardson, Anchorage, Alaska, and they had a play station before entering the commissary and I was grateful as a kid not to have to look at toilet paper and different cuts of meat with my mom.........See what you can do, my dear............I'd certainly pay :)

When I go to the store I will ask the manager. He may question why I am asking when I am 'past' THAT time. However, if I had grandkids here would be blessing even more. Sad to say, my mind just can't concentrate when I hear small child causing the customers wanting to get out. Some mothers seem to just turn it off and think everyone else should. I just feel sorry about the situation at the time.

yep, I hear ya..........Chris never whined..........I had too many big boy "toys" from the automotive dept. to keep him occupied.......was he ADD???? You betcha........had to keep him focused........full day's job until the age of 21...........but I can honestly say that neither of my children bothered other customers with crying, wailing, or whining...........did we take them out of the maelstrom???.......yes, at times but not often which was nice on their parts.........can only think of one time where we took my son out of a restaurant and it didn't last for long........he was an angel when I brought him back in............my granddaughter knows that if she acts up she is going outside so we've never had a problem with her either...........when you set standards with kids they rise to them.......if you expect them to behave most will........if they have a problem restraining themselves and sometimes being tired, cutting teeth, a cold coming on, they can't.........then it's understandable.......but we still took ours outside until they regained control..........or we went home.......which never happened.......man, it's hard being a parent isn't it?????

I have another one!

What's with eating the produce and stuff while shopping? I don't know what it is but it irks me.

Oh Lord - how could I have forgotten that one!!! Must have just blocked it out.

Just recently a woman was eating cherries & turned to me to state that she couldn't believe how sour they were. So why the heck was she stuffing handfulls of them into her face? Testing?

Same thing with folks I've seen taking a cold drink, finishing it while they shop, & then throwing away the empty bottle before they hit the register. Or the mom who does the exact same thing when she opens up a small box of cookies for her screaming brats.

Folks - it's called STEALING, & contributes to the high prices the rest of the honest responsible populace has to pay.

That they put the dairy and bread department all the way at the back of the store, opposite the end you enter from. I can't tell you how many times I just run to the store for those items. Granted I know its a marketing thing to get you to go past the other isles in hopes you'll be tempted to pick something up but it still oinks me off.

Another thing....I'm only 5'2" and they put some items so far up on the shelves and then don't constantly pull the items forward for us shorter people to reach. Ultimately, I have to hunt for someone to be so kind to get it down for me.

That they put the dairy and bread department all the way at the back of the store, opposite the end you enter from. I can't tell you how many times I just run to the store for those items. Granted I know its a marketing thing to get you to go past the other isles in hopes you'll be tempted to pick something up but it still oinks me off.

Another thing....I'm only 5'2" and they put some items so far up on the shelves and then don't constantly pull the items forward for us shorter people to reach. Ultimately, I have to hunt for someone to be so kind to get it down for me.

I hear ya, I'm 5'1" and I have the same problem.

Not everything in the store can be at eye level. Some things have to be put on top shelves. I'm 5'2" also and when I need something way up there, someone is always ready to get it for me. As for putting dairy products at the back of the store, these are items that eveyone buys so naturally the store puts them where they will get the customer to pass dozens of other items. This is just good, smart business practice. It's called "profit making" and it's what helps keep the store in business.

When I owned my retail shops I put the sale items in the back. You'd be surprised how many regular priced items we sold to customers on their way to the back of the store. It's just good business.

People remembering they forgot something while their purchases are being rung up and then going back for it and holding up the entire queue, or asking for the cashier to get someone to get cigarettes from the kiosk as they don't want to wait in the kiosk queue and holding up the queue, or as mentioned here only starts rummaging in their purses when the total is rung up and takes ages to find their cash, cheque book, credit cards. And people stealing my trolley !

Not everything in the store can be at eye level. Some things have to be put on top shelves. I'm 5'2" also and when I need something way up there, someone is always ready to get it for me. As for putting dairy products at the back of the store, these are items that eveyone buys so naturally the store puts them where they will get the customer to pass dozens of other items. This is just good, smart business practice. It's called "profit making" and it's what helps keep the store in business.

When I owned my retail shops I put the sale items in the back. You'd be surprised how many regular priced items we sold to customers on their way to the back of the store. It's just good business.

Well they're my peeves and I'm sticking to them....marketing ploy or smart business practice ;)

I can't stand the displays in the aisles that you have to maneuver around and that block the shelves. I also don't like it when people leave frozen or perishible foods in other sections. I can usually ignore the kids. I don't like it when there is no way to tell the cost of something. Sometimes there is no lable on the shelf or the one that is there is for another product. I don't think it is worth getting peeved with other shoppers. We all have had a bad shopping experience at one point or another where someone was inconsiderate, rude, and annoying. I try to "keep my head down" and let it go. You never know what you're going to encounter when out in public anymore. When my kids were little, I'd often buy them some treat at the grocery store. They liked getting that box of Teddy Grahams and getting to open it in the store. Of course, I made sure whatever it was could be scanned at the checkout. I never let them eat the grapes or bananas until they were paid for! They also got some choices in what was purchased. They could choose the flavor of juice, the kind of cereal etc, but they knew what they were limited to choose.

One reason I like 24hr shopping is that I can go late at night or early morning when there are very few other people about and few problems and annoyances - other than the restocking trolleys.

One reason I like 24hr shopping is that I can go late at night or early morning when there are very few other people about and few problems and annoyances - other than the restocking trolleys.

Amen to that! We use to go at 2 or 3 am and boy it made shopping a breeze. But then if you needed help.... um Hello?????

Amen to that! We use to go at 2 or 3 am and boy it made shopping a breeze. But then if you needed help.... um Hello?????

I found it necessary to grab a few things at the grocery store at 1 or 2 a.m. after being out for the evening, but I had no trouble finding someone to help me. This is the time when the help is re-stocking shelves so there is always someone nearby. At least that's the way it was when I shopped at night.

when my kids would act up in the store, i would hide from them. then come around to the aisle and say" who do these naughty children belong to ." they should be ashamed to be seen with them. had to raise voice. the kids would say "momm" and i would pretend not to know them. they would always be better behaved for a while.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:babe

p.s. they both turned out just fine. lol

...*Those "kid" carts and the parents that let them push them but don't watch them push them. I got news for you, your child isn't a "shopper in training" they're just annoying other customers and getting in the way.

Agreed. I hate 'em. I also hate those carts that have a huge molded plastic front end for small children to sit in. It makes the cart look like a toy. Like regular carts don't take up enough room in the aisle, now we have to deal with these extra long ones? How did anyone ever get to thinking that turning the grocery store into a playground was a good idea?

I also have issues with a poorly maintained produce section. Somebody needs to keep an eye on things and make sure that the produce is fresh, and once items are past their prime, that they are removed. It's just disgusting to reach for something and have your fingers sink into a furry spot, or pick it up and find that it's dripping rot, eeuuww!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom