Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB - This was is an antique, so I am not positive. I think that they put sand in the middle then placed the jug in the fire - The ceramic was known to hold the heat for a long time - A good place to keep your feet nice and toasty!!

Okay kids, let's play.
What ship is this?
I need its official name, its nickname, and where it lives.
Good luck.
Buck

Attachments

• Mystery ship.jpg
    Mystery ship.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 90
Right, right and right. Your post. Suggestion; let's stay with the Naval theme (after all, you started it with the Hunley!)
Take it away!
Buck

Interesting about filling your bed warmer with sand, Reanie525i. I had something very similar in Britain, made not that long ago either, when I lived in a very old house in a rainy part of the country and any help keeping warm in bed was welcome. I called it "the pig" given its looks. It must have been slightly different to yours because I had to fill it with hot water, like an ordinary hot water bottle. It would keep hot all night long and into the next day, far better than a rubber hot water bottle. One night, one of the cats decided it was so cold he was going to come under the quilt with us. He got the most awful fright when he saw the pig! Mind you, they were all quite happy to snuggle up against it on top of the quilt during the daytime.

Buck said:
Right, right and right. Your post. Suggestion; let's stay with the Naval theme (after all, you started it with the Hunley!)
Take it away!
Buck

I'll have to do it this evening since I overslept by about 25 minutes this morning. I have just enough time to check messages. Sorry guys. Time out! :rolleyes:

About 11 years ago I ate escargot and drank Napoleon brandy on the aft salon deck of the MV Nadine in this bay, with the lights of the city dancing, gentle swells rocking the boat slowly and the tarpon chasing baitfish that were attracted by the lights of the glass-bottom sofas in the master suite.

That was the best week of my life, and a beautiful night to cap off the trip.

Where is this? What bay/harbor/port? What island?

Attachments

• nadine.jpg
    nadine.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 284
Phinz, I have no idea. I've just looked up MV Nadine on Google and come up with a peculiar "Magdalean Islands", where a ship of this name sank in the 1990s. I hope it's not the same one. As far as I can tell, "Magdalean Islands" refers to the Madeleine Islands. Anyone else have any info?

Snoop Puss said:
Phinz, I have no idea. I've just looked up MV Nadine on Google and come up with a peculiar "Magdalean Islands", where a ship of this name sank in the 1990s. I hope it's not the same one. As far as I can tell, "Magdalean Islands" refers to the Madeleine Islands. Anyone else have any info?
I erred. It was M/Y Nadine, not M/V Nadine, but she did sink. She got caught in a Mistral between Sardinia and France and sank a year or two after we were on her. Her story is in a book called Megayachts.

She was called Coco Chanel for a while, when she was owned by the designer of the same name. She was bought later by Bernie Little of Miss Budweiser and Big Eagle fame and christened Big Eagle. He later sold her and bought his next yacht, christening that one Big Eagle (which was featured in the movie Striptease as Big Sugar). He still held an interest in Nadine, which was christened such by the new owner (Jordan Belfort of stock price manipulation and securities fraud infamy), whose wife was named Nadine.

The M/Y Nadine spent her winters in the Caribbean and her summers in the Mediterranean. This harbor is on the very same island where customs agents responsible for patrolling the path of Air Force One for President WJ Clinton were seriously injured in an accident. IIRC, one died later.

He's watching the Grey Cup right now. He'll put one up later.

Y'know phinz, I was in that harbor but didn't recognize it. Looks different from the deck of a ship I guess. LOL!

Not to mention I chose a picture that didn't show the cruise ship dock, Frenchman's Reef or Water Island. That's Hassel Island in the foreground and King's Wharf in the upper right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom