Halloween Was Different This Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
We live in a townhouse condo as one of 115 units. Trick or Treat heaven for kids. Lots of doorbells in a small area. TorT is from 6:00PM to 8:00PM every year. Our streets are often mobbed with parents and little kids. We attract carloads of kids for poorer areas because it's safe and well lighted and almost everyone is giving out candy. We love it. The usual routine is that there are hordes of little kids early on then as the night progresses, the kids get older and there are fewer parents around. That's OK too. Kids holding on to their fun times one more year. When you run out of candy, you turn off the porch light and everyone knows not to ring your bell.

This year was different. Many older kids at the beginning of the night and fewer cute little kids trying to remember to say, "Trick or Treat!" and "Thank you".

Oh, also, a lot of the kids were saying "Happy Halloween" rather than "Trick or Treat". What's up with that?

Hmmmm...times change. As for the Happy Halloween...

Years ago, when we still lived in L.A., we used to get over a hundred kids on Halloween. Similar to your experience, younger kids earlier, etc. I had such fun! Making "bags" of candy. I would get those little printed Halloween bags and put a number of individually wrapped favorites in each. Made it easier to hand out to the crowds that came to the door. I was in charge of handing out candy. Then, one year, DH decided to help me out...and wouldn't you know it, one of the "older kids" decided to do a "Trick" and immediately hosed DH down with a fire extinguisher as soon as he opened the door! NOT NICE. That was the last time we ever gave out candy.

So, if parents are encouraging kids to be nice and just say, "Happy Halloween"...I'm all for it!
name-graphics-ginny-932103.gif

We live in a condo building on the third floor. There are very few kids in the neighbourhood so there are no trick or treating. We give some candy to the two boys in here who are of that age.

When we lived in our townhouse we used to get over 100 kids every year. They were all polite, though many didn't have costumes (a cultural thing but we gave them candy as an outreach). There never were any problems with "tricks".

I don't know why the kids would switch to "Happy Halloween" but I know when I was walking Miley yesterday all the adults were saying it.

Ginny, how sad, that's not a 'trick' and he should have been grabbed and held for the police. Yeah, I know, it happens so fast one doesn't have time to re-act. But very sad.

I lived in a suburb for 30 years and the pattern changed from making your own treats to give out, your house was targeted when it was discovered home-made treats - then nasty scares on treats, canning the home made trend. I persevered for a while, making sure I did a little tag on each with my address. Then the kid population grew up and dwindled down to nothing, to the point I didn't even bother. Then another almost 30 years country side wehre there was no one at all. Country kids just had parties or were ferried by parents to suburban areas.

Where I live right now are mostly older people, Hardly any treats for kids here. My granddaughter went with a couple of friends to her mother's are of condo's and town houses. Her huge bag was bursting at the seams.
On an impressive note:- she and her friends made up another bag to give to a friend at school who was not allowed to go trick or treating. Wow, I gave her a big hug for that!!

Edit to add: that they made up their friends bag out of their own bags.

Last edited:
@dragnlaw, he just slammed the door as quick as possible and when he looked out the window that kid and his group were running. Now we are in the country, no sidewalks, no trick-or-treaters...although, if they were to show up, I could find something to give them! :ROFLMAO:

No kids have been coming since the first year with COVID-19.

It was quiet here.

None of the old pranks, smashed pumpkins, eggs, toilet paper, etc…

More and more Trunk or Treat events.

The one tradition that continues in the neighborhood is a pizzeria that gives away free slices.

I live in a condo townhouse too. But, I haven't seen kids at Hallowe'en for many years. When I first moved here in the 1990s, lots of kids came by. This year I saw a couple of kids walk by with their mum. They didn't ring the doorbell, even though our outside light was on and it was probably the only one on. I was kind of relieved because, there is nothing I could have given them. Well, I suppose I could have given them apples.

We always leave our outside light on. The condo association has gotten really bad about lighting the plaza and our light is pretty much the only light other than from people's windows. I really should get on their case.

I am in the country now, so we had no trick or treaters here. Had rain also, and the nearest city postponed their downtown Halloween celebration until tonight (Downtown Historic District and ECPD).

My sister's neighborhood felt like an old fashioned Halloween- a refreshing change for me. Cute kids dressed up. Polite and fun. My sister gave out full-sized KitKats. Her neighbore also offered a full-size candy bar or the kids could select a potato. At the end of the night, he still had candy but no potatoes. I found it funny. Several kids proudly showed us their potatoes. :giggle:

Hmmmm...times change. As for the Happy Halloween...

Years ago, when we still lived in L.A., we used to get over a hundred kids on Halloween. Similar to your experience, younger kids earlier, etc. I had such fun! Making "bags" of candy. I would get those little printed Halloween bags and put a number of individually wrapped favorites in each. Made it easier to hand out to the crowds that came to the door. I was in charge of handing out candy. Then, one year, DH decided to help me out...and wouldn't you know it, one of the "older kids" decided to do a "Trick" and immediately hosed DH down with a fire extinguisher as soon as he opened the door! NOT NICE. That was the last time we ever gave out candy.

So, if parents are encouraging kids to be nice and just say, "Happy Halloween"...I'm all for it!
name-graphics-ginny-932103.gif
Don't let one bad experience change your usual behavior.

Oh, also, a lot of the kids were saying "Happy Halloween" rather than "Trick or Treat". What's up with that?
I think that's in the same vein as "Happy Holidays".

I think it's in the same vein as "Happy Holidays". Many of our common terms for good wishes were actually religious-centric.

From Nov 1 to Jan 31 there are over 20 religious holidays celebrated by people of various nationalities and faiths. In our country we always assume that everyone celebrates Christmas and we express our wishes accordingly. But many of our neighbors are actually celebrating other holidays, such as Channukah. So "Happy Holidays" encompasses everyone and doesn't offend anyone (except those who believe it's a war on Christmas).

Halloween has its roots in the ancient Irish Driud celebration of Samhain, the night they believed the veil between this world and the afterworld was at its thinnest and most penetrable. Children carved turnips (precursers to today's jack-o-lanterns) to scare off the spirits that breached the veil. "Trick or treat" was the call - a human would provide a treat; a spirit would play a trick.

Centuries later, the same people who are protesting the term "Happy Holidays" are trying to eliminate 'trick or treat", with it's pagan symbolism. Thus, the conscious effort to switch to "Happy Halloween".

Everyone, I do not choose to engage in a debate of the merits of either, only to explain ........

When I worked in customer service, I would always say “Happy holidays” because many people got offended if you used the wrong religious greeting.

Halloween has its roots in the ancient Irish Driud celebration of Samhain, the night they believed the veil between this world and the afterworld was at its thinnest and most penetrable. ........

Interesting about Halloween. I always thought it comes from Mexican tradition.

I celebrate Chanukah and not at all get offended if somebody wishes me Merry Christmas. Some people may get bothered by that, I think it is wonderful that people believe.

Charlie, perhaps you're thinking of Cinco de Mayo?
More likely the Day of the Dead. From Wikipedia:

The Day of the Dead (Spanish: el Día de Muertos or el Día de los Muertos)[2][3] is a holiday traditionally celebrated on November 1 and 2, though other days, such as October 31 or November 6, may be included depending on the locality.

So there you go Charlie - you were right but wrong at the same time, as was I! LOL Halloween, as North Americans as does the UK and Europe, celebrates Halloween as Silversage has described, to do with Samhain.
el Dia de Muertos is a Spanish (and Mexican) celebration in Honour and Remembrance of their past family and friends.

I guess the fact that the dates are closely intertwined is what makes it confusing.

May 5, Cinco de Mayo - is the celebration of a victory over the French Empire. According to Wiki, it is more popular in the States and generates as much beer sales as the Super Bowl :eek::LOL:.
In Mexico it is mostly celebrated with parades and re-enactments of the battle.

All copiously looked up on Wiki.... phew!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom