Has anyone ever dehydrated citrus slices in a microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
My son asked me this because his apartment (In China) doesnt have a stove, and he doesn't have a dehydrator.
I've seen a few methods online, just wondering if anyone ever tried it personally? Their technique? Tips and tricks? Was it worth the effort?

Thanks

Do you know what he is going to use them for?

It seems like it would take forever to dry a meaningful amount.

Candied slices might be easier.

I’ve never made them but I have made candied peel using a similar method with good results.

Basically cooking thin slices in a sugar syrup and draining them on a rack over a baking sheet. Some recipes also call for coating the sticky slices with granulated sugar.

This is one of many recipes on the internet.

In China, it seems he should be able to find dried tangerine peel in a grocery store, which I think is even better in tea than the stuff I have made.

Funny, I just got an email about doing that! I put the info in my CMT, link below.

Dried Citrus
"This recipe does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."

That usually happens with links to CMT when you just copy the URL. It works better to use the "swoop arrow" to create a link to share.

"This recipe does not exist or you do not have permission to view it."

That usually happens with links to CMT when you just copy the URL. It works better to use the "swoop arrow" to create a link to share.
Is this (below) what you mean by "swoop arrow"? If not, I'm not sure what to do??

Dried Citrus

Adapted from https://shortgirltallorder.com/wprm_print/12954

Servings: 15 + slices

INGREDIENTS

2 Lemons cut into ¼ inch slices
2 Limes cut into ¼ inch slices
1 Blood orange cut into ¼ inch slices
1 Cara Cara Orange cut into ¼ inch slices
1 Navel Orange cut into ¼ inch slices

STEPS

1) Preheat the oven to 200F and make sure to set to convection oven settings. Then, line a tray with parchment paper and set aside.

2) Use a mandoline or a very sharp knife to slice the citrus into slices no more than ¼" in width. If the slices are thicker, they will take longer to cook.

3) Place the citrus slices onto the parchment lined tray and bake anywhere from 3-6 hours depending on the size of the citrus. Lemons and Limes take the least amount of time followed by oranges and lastly grapefruit which will take the longest.

4) After about 2 hours of baking, flip the citrus so the side facing the parchment paper is now exposed. Also, rotate the tray so that the citrus that was closest to the glass is now in the back of the oven. Continue this process every 2 hours as needed.

5) Once the citrus has no more moisture and is brittle to the touch, remove from the oven and let cool completely.

6) Use as a cocktail garnish, topping on a baked good, or blend into a citrus sugar. Enjoy!

NOTES

Please see blog post for cooking times for citrus as well as tips on how to use dehydrated citrus wheels

Dried citrus wheels can be stored in a closed container in the fridge for several years assuming all the moisture has been removed. I prefer using them within a year of making if using for an edible purpose such as a cake topping or cocktail garnish.

Follow these same steps to make dried citrus in a dehydrator, but dehydrate for 6-8 hours at 135F.

From purposeful pantry and in my experience, citrus slices or peel does discolor if done at 125 or 135 deg F. To get beautiful slices, dry at 95 deg F. It takes a lot longer to do it at that low of a temperature. I haven't tried to use a toaster oven. If you have warm daytime temperatures you might be able to dry it in front of a window or in a car.
deydrate-citrus-feat4.jpg

If you JUST have the peel, you can leave them out in the room temperature air and they will dry. I haven't tried that with slices.

From purposeful pantry and in my experience, citrus slices or peel does discolor if done at 125 or 135 deg F. To get beautiful slices, dry at 95 deg F. It takes a lot longer to do it at that low of a temperature. I haven't tried to use a toaster oven. If you have warm daytime temperatures you might be able to dry it in front of a window or in a car.
deydrate-citrus-feat4.jpg

If you JUST have the peel, you can leave them out in the room temperature air and they will dry. I haven't tried that with slices.
Yeah, the peels would be much easier ( and quicker). I know he wants to use it for tea. Not sure if he wants the peel or peel + pulp. He's probably waking up right about now, ll try to touch base so I can better advise him.

Is this (below) what you mean by "swoop arrow"? If not, I'm not sure what to do??
I meant the symbol between the printer symbol and the trash can symbol. This is a screenshot from near the top right corner of a page on CMT with a recipe.

1699490553213.png

If you choose "Copy link to clipboard", you can paste the recipe here or anywhere else and it will work.

If it's to make tea, doesn't he just want some of the rind, preferably without the pith? I dry that at home all the time. Just leave it on a plate or piece of waxed paper. Usually it's dry by the next day. I imagine it might take a bit longer in a humid climate. No equipment needed.

Last edited:
If it's to make tea, doesn't he just want some of the rind, preferably without the pith? I dry that at home all the time. Just leave it on a plate or piece of waxed paper some. Usually it's dry by the next day. I imagine it might take a bit longer in a humid climate. No equipment needed.
I basically just told him the same exact thing :)
I think the peel is all he is after, and the pith would be an unpleasant surprise.

I meant the symbol between the printer symbol and the trash can symbol. This is a screenshot from near the top right corner of a page on CMT with a recipe.

View attachment 66759

If you choose "Copy link to clipboard", you can paste the recipe here or anywhere else and it will work.
That's what I tried...but I had different options that you are showing above. It was something like, "Can't share" go to website, or Copy and none of the others. But, I don't FB, so, that might explain one of them? Thanks for trying, Taxy!!! Maybe I should simply give up offering the shares. :unsure:

That's what I tried...but I had different options that you are showing above. It was something like, "Can't share" go to website, or Copy and none of the others. But, I don't FB, so, that might explain one of them? Thanks for trying, Taxy!!! Maybe I should simply give up offering the shares. :unsure:
Some website owners don't want people to even share their recipes from CMT, not even just the ingredients. Even though the owner of the website is not obligated by law to concede to them, she does honour requests for CMT to not share those recipes. Here's what that dropdown menu looks like for a recipe I have from a place that doesn't want sharing. Is this what you got?

1699491928357.png

Yes, Taxy, that's what I got. And yet, when I copied the link, and TESTED it like you said to do, it works just fine. I see what I've CMT'ed. Sigh.

Yes, Taxy, that's what I got. And yet, when I copied the link, and TESTED it like you said to do, it works just fine. I see what I've CMT'ed. Sigh.
It looks fine if you are logged in to CMT. Test the link in a new private window, where you won't have any sign in cookies.

If you are drying just the peels try poking a dry clove into a few pieces.

I find the combination of orange and cloves very soothing in a cup of hot tea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom