Headspace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tankgirl

Assistant Cook
Hi. I canned tomato sauce yesterday (first time). I followed a recipe and technique on the Bernardin site. It said to leave 1/2" headspace when filling the jars, which I did. But 24 hours later after it's been processed it's more than 1/2". I read that too much headspace and mold can grow. Do you think these are ok?
Thanks so much.
T
#canning

Attachments

• IMG_20200828_173211.jpg
    IMG_20200828_173211.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Sorry Tankgirl, I don't know the answer to your question. Someone here probably does. Welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

The hot water bath should have killed any mold spores. The only issue I've heard about with regard to too much headspace after canning is that the top can become discolored over time. But it's still safe to eat.

I canned V-8 juice today in a pressure canner, leaving 1/2 inch head space. I can't take off the screw bands because the jars are still hot. I didn't lose any liquids.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 88
If you left the 1/2 " it should be just fine. As long as you have your indentation on the lid making a good seal.

If you leave too much space then the processing time might not be long enough to drive out the extra air and you probably won't get an airtight seal.

By the same token if you don't leave enough space, it could "boil over" and prevent the lid cover from sealing.

So always follow the recipes instruction as to 1/2" or 1/4" head space.

:blush: been there, done that :blush:

Thanks. I did leave half an inch. It's tomato sauce so I guess it settled and lowered.

Here's another suggestion. Once the goods are in the jar, take a dinner knife and slide it up and down around the sides. This helps to release air bubble and you can see if you need to add more.

I did pickled beets the other day and it is amazing how much air can get trapped when you pour in the liquid.

so maybe you had larger chunks of whatever in there and they just collapsed more with softening. No big deal -

Enjoy your sauce this winter!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom