Help needed brewing coffee...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rainee - gotta disagree with whatever source you got your "Arabic or Turkish" coffee info from.

My husband is Turkish and this is how his mother taught me how to make it (not that it helps the OP):

For each turkish coffee cup of water, use a teaspoon (not our American "teaspoon", but a true Tea Spoon) of the coffee. The coffee is pulverized into powder, by the way and settles to the bottom when you're drinking it. They actually have an "art" of reading coffee grounds in the Middle East. When you finish, you put the saucer on top of the cup, flip it over and they read your fortune. Kinda fun.

You do not have to put sugar in if you don't want. The method you mentioned is called "orta" or "middle", meaning semi-sweet. Most Turks take their coffee "saade" or "plain".

Using a Cezve (pronounced Jez-veh) (Ibrik is I think used only in Greece or in some Arab countries, but not in Turkey for sure) you boil the coffee until you get foam forming on top, pour the foam into each turkish coffee cup, then bring back to a boil. The foam is really important. If you don't have foam on the coffee you serve, it's a sign that you don't know how to make coffee. ;) Distribute coffee into the cups. No spices are added. This is a Greek/Western (perhaps even Lebanese) affectation. Other countries may add different spices.

That's the way I was taught and how I make Turkish coffee every evening after dinner. It's considered a digestive.

Anyway, my point was that you can't lump "Turkish and Arabic" coffee together because even though it's the same fine powder, the preparation is hugely different in different countries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom