Here's an unpopular opinion here at the house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
When my girlfriend and I (We're both 65, we need a better title than girlfriend boyfriend) moved in together we merged our cookware. She shopped at Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma, myself at restaurant supply stores and Farm and Fleet. I find my Vollrath Z4010 non stick skillet, 5 years old is more non stick and more even heating than her Scanpan CS+ from Denmark, 6 months old. Also $55 vs. $150. Both hand washed only, by me. But then, that's about our only disagreement. Her daughter catches hell when she cooks over here, going through the skillet drawer looking for Vollrath.

I break all kinds of rules in my cooking. I do what works for me.

I do buy quality cookware, mostly because I only want to buy that stuff once. But, some cookware is worth paying a lot of money for, and other cookware is not.

My Le Crueset Dutch ovens... worth every penny. A Le Crueset salt shaker, c'mon man?

CD

Better hide those expensive frying pans!

😉🤭😂

1715714579043.jpeg

“Opposites attract, but after marriage, opposites attack.” - Dr. Chalres Lowery

I break all kinds of rules in my cooking. I do what works for me.

I do buy quality cookware, mostly because I only want to buy that stuff once. But, some cookware is worth paying a lot of money for, and other cookware is not.

My Le Crueset Dutch ovens... worth every penny. A Le Crueset salt shaker, c'mon man?

CD
She converted me from bare cast iron Dutch oven to Le Creuset , plus plenty of other kitchen tools. She has knives that came from supermarkets, I have German steel. She won't touch my knives, she says she doesn't like them. I keep hers razor sharp.
If I found a Le Creuset salt shaker at a garage sale I'd be tempted...

"Expensive" store doesn't always spell the best quality. Vollrath is an excellent product. I have some Shun knives from William and Sonoma, plenty expensive, far from best knives I have from Restaurant depot.

27 years ago my partner and I broke up and sold the house, so we each came into a bit of cash. She took the cookware and I took my prized Wusthof knives.

So I used some of the money to buy more than a few pieces of All Clad stainless cookware — discounted cosmetic seconds from Cookware and More.

The All Clad is going to last forever. It still looks almost new. Such excellent stuff.

The knives are also still going strong. I’ve added a few Shuns and get all of them professionally sharpened from time to time.

IMO, quality stuff is the way to go. Even if you buy it piece by piece.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom