How do I remove Burnt BBQ Sauce from a bake/drip pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have a drip pan (the kind that comes in 2 pieces, has a top part with slits to bake stuff and grease drips into a 1 inch deep rectangular pan. Well over the years, the top part gone missing.

The pan is still in good shape (well it was), even has a nice glossy finish, you could barely tell it had much use. Then We BBQ ribs, and I used that pan to keep the ribs warm.

Well this stove is an older stove and it does not have an electric thermostat control. Even the numbers on the knob were faded. The least warm I can get it is 250 degrees. (I, in advance with a stove thermometer, wrote on a paper the degrees of certain knob settings)

Well I guess, I made a mistake, and it went to about 330 degrees, we done the ribs first, then the other stuff, and we over BBQ'd the ribs a bit. So I put sauce on them and kept them in the oven, and the sauce burnt to the pan.

Now after 3 wash attempts I cannot scrape that stuff off. I even soaked it in Hot water overnight, and even put on top of the burners to Boil the water, to see if it would come up that way. Still no luck.

Has anyone dealt with this before, or know how to get this 'black concrete' off my pan?

If the pan is a porcelain coated or stainless steel pan, put the pan in a plastic bag with a bowl of ammonia. Tie the opening and leave it outside overnight. The residue should clean off pretty easily.

Don't do this with an aluminum pan.

So I have a drip pan (the kind that comes in 2 pieces, has a top part with slits to bake stuff and grease drips into a 1 inch deep rectangular pan. Well over the years, the top part gone missing.

The pan is still in good shape (well it was), even has a nice glossy finish, you could barely tell it had much use. Then We BBQ ribs, and I used that pan to keep the ribs warm.

Well this stove is an older stove and it does not have an electric thermostat control. Even the numbers on the knob were faded. The least warm I can get it is 250 degrees. (I, in advance with a stove thermometer, wrote on a paper the degrees of certain knob settings)

Well I guess, I made a mistake, and it went to about 330 degrees, we done the ribs first, then the other stuff, and we over BBQ'd the ribs a bit. So I put sauce on them and kept them in the oven, and the sauce burnt to the pan.

Now after 3 wash attempts I cannot scrape that stuff off. I even soaked it in Hot water overnight, and even put on top of the burners to Boil the water, to see if it would come up that way. Still no luck.

Has anyone dealt with this before, or know how to get this 'black concrete' off my pan?
Try soaking overnight in a strong solution of hot water and biological detergent. Repeat if necessary with more solution. Don't boil, as the heat will destroy the enzymes in the detergent.

Last edited:

If the pan is porcelain it would clean in a self cleaning oven. Realising that you have an older oven maybe a friend would let you use theirs. Also porcelain under burner pans can clean the same way [Nothing with a shiny metal surface, Alum, stainless, chrome etc] If cleaning solutions don't work as mentioned, Old fashioned Easy Off Cleaner[Lye based] or some commercial equivalent, will do it as a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom