How picky of an eater are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I first saw this list, I figured I'd come up as pretty picky. After actually reading over the items, there are only five I will not eat. There are a few I would not cross the street to eat, but they're OK if they're put in front of me. In my defense, I have tried every food on this list at least once. In a few cases I learned that my Mom was wrong on occasion - there are foods that I cannot "learn to love". [emoji38] My forbidden five:

Bleu Cheese - or, in my case, "blech" cheese. If you like it, here's my share *pushes plate towards you*
raw fish - I've had sashimi once or twice, barely seared tuna once. Good thing I was born into a Polish family and not a Japanese one.
sardines - just "no"
lamb - don't like the flavor
cilantro - AKA soap

A qualifier for the liver: I had to eat liver and onions (with a copious bacon bribery) often as a kid. When I was pregnant, Mom would make it when she and Dad came over because "it was good for the babies". I decided after the kids were born that I had consumed a lifetime supply of liver. I still will eat Braunschweiger, gooseliver, or liverwurst, however. Go figure. [emoji38]

It doesn't have to be "exotic" for someone to not eat it. I don't eat something if I don't enjoy the flavor or texture.

Yes, I counted things I'll eat if they're there. I also included things I don't like the texture of, like eggplant. Ick.

five:

raw fish- I've had too many food safety/bacteriology courses

beets- tops and bottoms taste and smell offensive to me

pickles- in my opinion, a rude thing to do to a vegetable

cilantro- tastes like soap

sardines- just don't like the taste
Aw, man - I love all kinds of pickles :yum:

I had my first experience with "Boba" a few weeks ago. It wasn't bad, but not good either. The big tapioca balls at the bottom of the drink looked a lot like fish eyes, were chewy and tasteless. I didn't get the point at all. :ermm:
Andrew Zimmern did a show in China once where he talked about a particular dish that highlights the texture of gently poached and seasoned poultry, particularly the tendons. Not the kind of thing Americans usually appreciate [emoji38]

I can't believe ice cream is on the list. And bacon. :ermm::LOL: I get that some folks avoid those for religious, allergic, or just plain dietary reasons, but the title is 'how picky are you'. :LOL:

I'll eat most of what's on the list except:
Liver
Sardines
Ketchup (unless it's mixed in with a sauce)
Licorice

I've never had collards (I don't think, unless it was when I was a kid) or boba, so I don't know about those.

I'm surprised at how many people don't like eggplant..I love the stuff..gf isn't crazy about it, either..she just puts up with me..I try and make sure there are a few other options when I make it..

I got a zero. I have to thank my mom and dad for that.

Mom, because everything on the list she made for us, and everything was good; often great.

And dad, for the discipline that if mom went through the trouble of cooking for all of us, we'd better respect her and at least try to eat something that we had thought we wouldn't like.

I am like this, I try everything three times and then they go on the nope list, at least that dish. Somethings I can eat to be polite even if I disslike them, but there some I cant like pyttipanna, surströmming, surströmmingslåda.

I "thought" I never liked eggplant but I've changed my mind. What I didn't like was the skin of that really pretty vegetable. Now that skin is nasty and I didn't know that's why I didn't like it. Live and learn.

Last edited:
I scored five. But, I think they are more about things I don't like, more than things I would not eat. Cooked right, I would eat them, and may of may not like. I hate carrots, but if cooked in some way, I might like. I both love and hate Brussels sprouts, depending on how they are prepared.

Insects, I can't imagine liking them.

I have eaten all kinds of sushi, and have only eaten them once that I liked -- prepared by a Mexican cook. I am very open minded, but I am also not shy about saying I do not like something. Otherwise, I don't like sushi. Seaweed is a taste, or more accurately, a texture I just don't like. It just doesn't work for me.

CD

Casey, which texture (or all( of seaweed do you not like?

It can be very thin and crispy, or thicker and leathery, or even like a floppy wet noodle in soups.

Brussel sprouts - if you nuke or steam them, just don't overcook them. Al dente is best. Or, toss them in EVOO, salt and roast them. So good.

Insects - I eat them on occasion. Just part of cycling.

Brussel sprouts - if you nuke or steam them, just don't overcook them. Al dente is best. Or, toss them in EVOO, salt and roast them. So good.

Insects - I eat them on occasion. Just part of cycling.

I detest Brussel Sprouts like some people detest liver.

I like liver, and if you cook it right and don't overcook it's ever so good.

Did I convince any liver haters?

The only reason anything on that list would go on my nope list is because of dietary reasons. I've had everything on there at one time or another and wouldn't turn my nose up again if I could eat them.

My parents brought me up with the "no thank you" bite. You took a bite. If you didn't like it then you said, "No. Thank you." I don't ever remember having to utter that phrase. I grew up an adventurous omnivore.

Casey, which texture (or all( of seaweed do you not like?

It can be very thin and crispy, or thicker and leathery, or even like a floppy wet noodle in soups.

I am primarily referring to that green paper-like stuff they wrap around sushi "rolls."

CD

You can usually request rice paper as a sub - at least at the restaurant my daughter and I go to when I'm visiting her. I actually like it a lot better that way. But then again, I've only had sushi a handful of times so I haven't really developed a taste for the strong flavor of nori.

Last edited:
For some reason, I can't eat sushi rolls that have the nori on the outside of the rolls - it triggers my gag reflex. If it's inside, with rice on the outside, I'm fine.

In Kaneohe, where I'm from, y'know K~girl and all, there's this sushi joint and it's a chain from Japan, LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to go home and eat some excellent sushi that is on a conveyer belt that goes around the room with all sorts of different types, small bowls of goodies and sashimi.
Also, I'd like to say that when sushi made fresh with Nori incorporated into it somehow, the Nori is not thick and leathery, at least in my own experience

Here's a small sampling of our trip to Genki Sushi in Kaneohe:
Hawaii May 2012 143.jpg
{a different version of Spam Musubi}
Hawaii May 2012 138.jpg
{MMM, kara age Chicken}
Hawaii May 2012 142.jpg
{you pay by the color and number of small plates that you eat,
this is about our norm for the two of us, average cost is $1.50 - $3.00 per plate}
I wish I could take you all with me to Oahu!

Back
Top Bottom