I just rooted some store bought Lemon grass, question on when to plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
end of season, planted it in spring, dug up in fall. 4 months?

possibly but they looked the same from the video... not thick stalks, just grassy.

The thick stocks and the grassy looking plants. There is no way the grassy looking plants have those thick stocks from the video I saw.
Did yours?
I don't think four months is enough time for lemongrass to grow and spread into several stalks. Like I said, it's a tropical plant and its life cycle is four years. It's meant to be in the ground in hot temperatures for much longer than a few months.

I'm not sure what video you're referring to, but yes, mine had a lot of stalks when I harvested it. Our growing season is about six months long and lemongrass overwinters outside.

I answered this on another thread fairly recently - there are two different species of lemongrass, the thin stuff, that goes to seed, and you can buy seed for, and the thick stuff, that you buy in the grocery, and have to start by rooting the stalks, or dividing plants up. That thin variety is also milder in flavor.

Also, something you can do with the plants, when you grow them, is use the greens! Take a couple cups of the dark greens, cut into 1" or so pieces, and blend it with a quart of water and about 1/3 c sugar (or to taste). Strain, and you have lemongrassaide! Everyone who has tried this, in combo with Thai food, loved it, and I save about half the greens, for just this.

Here's a photo of half of the greens from one year, I gave to a friend, who has a Foodsaver, and vacuum sealed it, like I do.
Lemongrass greens, from 2 largest clusters, about 46 oz., filled a plastic bag from a store. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Yours I'm sure won't get as large as mine do in about 4½ months, but you'll still get larger stalks than that thinner variety, and you should have enough to last quite a while!

Last edited:
Im usually left with more greens than thick stalks. I usually dry some of the leaves for tea. One person I follow basically takes a few leaves and kinda bundles them up into a wreath or bird nest - like bundle ( small enough to fit into a mug) and dries them like that. When in the mood for lemon grass tea, just put a bundle into the mug , pour water in and let soak t let the flavors out.

I put my recently potted plants into my mushroom tent ( which holds a specific temperature and humidity) and these things doubled in size in a week or too ( growing almost as quick as I've seen bamboo grow. The same with the ginger).

Not having a controlled temp device, I'll just wait.
So the plant I purchased before was definitely the grassy one. Certainly didn't come close to 4', was about the same as in the video. Yes, Larry, this person on the video did exactly that with hers but she had tons of it growing. They would separate some of the large clumps to keep over winter and just stuffed into jars of water to root.

So I think I found the original video I saw and now a later one that goes more step by step. Seems my faulty memory has been exposed again! I will certainly have to boost my intake of brain food!
GG, master gardener, you were right insofar as the type of lemongrass we get at the grocer.
Pepperhead, yes, the one from the nursery was the grassy one that did not have those thick stalks. The roots remained a tangled, thick mass.
lemongrass growing, etc. It is 25 minutes long but shows it step by step.

Thanks guys, I appreciate. I will try and see how far I get with the thick stalks and maybe even get a grassy one from the nursery again.

Back
Top Bottom