In the kitchen all day and what was tonight's meal? Tuesday, August 8, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
We ordered from "Mandarin Taste." BUT....I almost have dinner for tomorrow night completed AND I have 10 jars of cucumber relish. 😁

20230808_195744.jpg

I'm making a celebratory dinner...well, a simplified version! I'm making a CopyCat version of "Archie's Subs" (anyone that remembers Archie's, on Washington in Culver City was probably a neighbor!) Steak Sandwiches. Archie's Steak Sandwich was something I saved up to enjoy...although, truth be known, they were NOT expensive. Hey, I was young and always broke...LOL.

Anyway, we are celebrating with fond memories and grateful hearts: DH's Cancer doc doesn't want to see him for A YEAR!!!!!
smileys-dancing-076627.gif
smileys-dancing-354201.gif

I'm making a celebratory dinner...well, a simplified version! I'm making a CopyCat version of "Archie's Subs" (anyone that remembers Archie's, on Washington in Culver City was probably a neighbor!) Steak Sandwiches. Archie's Steak Sandwich was something I saved up to enjoy...although, truth be known, they were NOT expensive. Hey, I was young and always broke...LOL.

Anyway, we are celebrating with fond memories and grateful hearts: DH's Cancer doc doesn't want to see him for A YEAR!!!!!
smileys-dancing-076627.gif
smileys-dancing-354201.gif
This reminds me of a place I used to go called the "Nice and Easy." They had the best...absolutely BEST meatball subs. They were so cheap that we were fearful of what they might have in them. Open all night. Sadly the proprietor had enough of dealing with drunk college students and musicians, so she sold it all and retired to Florida....*sighs reminiscing fondly*

How do you make your memory? Recipe?

<<How do you make your memory? Recipe?>>
I'm pretty sure they used "breakfast steak" (can't find those anymore??)...I get a better cut from Costco and I cut them (thin for sandwiches, other cuts for other meals...then I vacuum seal them and place in the freezer for future)...I will either use the "panini smart grill" or the BBQ to grill them up for sandwiches. I season with seasoned salt & Montreal seasoning...cook them and place them on French Rolls that have been lightly toasted and then slathered with mayo (on mine anyway)...topped with Bib lettuce, sliced tomato (and onion for "him")...and a big old sandwich sliced pickle. Oooooooo...much fancier than Archies...but only with regard to the meat itself.

We had cold smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, onion, and capers. We also had some cold smoked trout spread on half a bagel each. Those got onion and capers too. It was accompanied by some homemade coleslaw. I thought I was making a double batch, so there would be some for another meal, but we ate all of it. I guess we had a coleslaw deficit. We had a few strawberries and a peach each for dessert.

I had some stuff to use up, and so I chopped some green beans into more or less inch pieces and cooked them. Also boiled some potatoes (getting very aged) in their skins and left to cool before cutting into rough chunks. Meanwhile, I fried up some smoked bacon chopped into small pieces, sliced spring onions, and sliced fennel. I added frozen spinach and petit pois to just soften. Then I made a cheese sauce - usual white roux, and added a bit of blue that I had left, and a load of good strong cheddar and some freshly ground pepper. Put all the veggies and bacon in a baking dish and poured the cheese sauce over. Topped that with some slices of a very ripe tomato that I found lurking in the back of the fridge! In the oven for 35 mins (and then a few mins under the grill to brown). It turned out okay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom