Is there a difference in the brand of muffin tins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Assistant Cook
I've been looking at muffin pans and I've seen them range from about $8-$20. Is there really a difference between them? Thanks for the help.

Yes, there are differences in cooking characteristics depending on the material it's made of and the finish on the metal.

I don't think you have to spend a fortune in bakeware in most cases. Buy a fairly sturdy muffin tin and bake some muffins. If you have to adjust your cooking time and or temperature a little, that's fairly easy to do.

I'd look for dark metal muffin tins. Some are also available with a non-stick coating.

You bet there is! I've had several over the years, including Teflon-coated junk, and IMHO the best, hands-down, is Chicago Metallic Commercial Bakeware:

112090e.jpg

It's made of heavy gauge aluminized steel that will literally last a lifetime. It's not non-stick -- but in my experience nothing sticks to it when I use a little spritz of Crisco non-stick baking spray (it has flour in it). Muffins turn out perfect every time, well browned, all evenly cooked, and cleanup is a snap.

Sorry AndyM but I disagree with you. I hate the dark metal bakeware. In my experience, I have found that it burned the outside of what I was baking and left the inside raw. Lowering the temperature and baking longer never worked for me.

I agree with Scotch. I would prefer Chicago Metal, too. I either use paper liners or grease the cups.

I have an aluminum muffin tin that I adore, although I rarely make muffins. I like it much better than the silicone one that it replaced.

I wish I could recommend what I've been using for years. I got the muffin pan in 1953. I know it's some form of aluminum but, beyond that, I couldn't tell you more. I DO know it's cooked more muffins and cupcakes than I can count.

Someone gave me a Teflon-coated muffin pan one time. Mediocre at best. I still greased and floured it.

My only recommendation would be to be sure the material is nice and heavy, regardless of whether or not it's light or dark.

I've gotta agree with Scotch. I like the heaviest commercial muffin tins.

They don't warp easily like the thinner metals either.

Yes, there are differences in cooking characteristics depending on the material it's made of and the finish on the metal.

I don't think you have to spend a fortune in bakeware in most cases. Buy a fairly sturdy muffin tin and bake some muffins. If you have to adjust your cooking time and or temperature a little, that's fairly easy to do.

I'd look for dark metal muffin tins. Some are also available with a non-stick coating.

I am referring to stuff that looks like this:
http://www.bakedeco.com/bimages/K621265.jpg

and this

http://common.csnstores.com/Kaiser-Bakeware-Classic-8-Springform-Pan~img~KSR~KSR1362_l.jpg

or is just black on the inside. It is lousy bakeware and I highly recommend not to buy it. I have tried and nothing has ever turned out right for me. As I said, burnt or overbrowned outside and raw inside. Dropping the temp of the oven didn't work for me.

....And don't even get me started with silicon bakeware. I don't know anyone who likes that stuff. The baked goods tear and stick; it is too flimsy.

I wish I could recommend what I've been using for years. I got the muffin pan in 1953. I know it's some form of aluminum but, beyond that, I couldn't tell you more. I DO know it's cooked more muffins and cupcakes than I can count.

Someone gave me a Teflon-coated muffin pan one time. Mediocre at best. I still greased and floured it.

My only recommendation would be to be sure the material is nice and heavy, regardless of whether or not it's light or dark.

Katie, one of my muffin tins is circa 1951 and is mirro and it is very heavy. I have used it my whole life. I wish mirro still had that kind of quality.

I used mine this morning and I love it. It's Farberware, and I don't think I spent more than nine bucks for it. It has a nice weight, doesn't buckle, and I love the non-stick surface.

I use nice and heavy Wear-Ever pans.

They work great for making mini pies.

Pai7 $10 for 7 of them.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 218
  • pan_back.jpg
    pan_back.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 220
I know this post is old.. but as browsing through.. thought I'd share still, even if I'm a day late and dollar short.. at least!

I recently found this one at TJMaxx for $19 .. I was actually shopping around for a new muffin pan and couldn't resist. I haven't had opportunity to try it out yet but am looking for an excuse to make some muffins!

Hmm.. I'm not allowed to post links yet, but if you're interested to see on the nordicware website, it's the Bundt Cupcake Pan. It's cute, it's heavy and not too dark in coloring. It looks darker in their photo than it does to me in person.

nordicware (dot) com/store/products/detail/bundt-cupcake-pan/220721BC-7C89-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7

I've been looking at muffin pans and I've seen them range from about $8-$20. Is there really a difference between them? Thanks for the help.
Light weight materials with a darker colour will decrease the baking time. On the other hand, insulated pans will slow baking. Also, size of the muffin cup capacity will affect cooking time and evenness, obviously, as you will be baking a larger sized batter in each cup.

Back
Top Bottom