ISO gasless broccoli...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
We really like crisp tender steamed broccoli, and always have. However, lately I have had extreme "flufferdoodles" and head for the door. :blush::w00t2:
I've been steaming broccolini without any problems, but I miss plain 'ole broccoli. Broccolini is actually a cross-breed of broccoli and Chinese broccoli, with a unique flavor. We really like it roughly chopped and steamed in the microwave, with a little water/butter/garlic/salt/MSG, just like I do broccoli.

I take Beano tablets when I eat beans, but I'd rather not use it if I don't need it. My mom would use a little baking soda to cut the gas in beans and I wonder if it would work for broccoli also? Now that I think about it, she also claimed that a little mustard powder in the water did the same for dried beans.

I read somewhere if you use a little milk in the steaming water, it will help.

Does anyone have any bright ideas that work for gas-less broccoli ?:chef:

Broccoli is at the top of bloat-causing foods, so no wonder it's giving you problems.

As far as I know, you have basically two options :)

1. Blanch or steam cook it, which should partially lower the amount of sugars that cause the bloating when broken down by the enzymes in your stomaque. Skip the microwave though, it basically kills large part of the good things in broccoli.

2. Eat it together with anti-bloat foods, such as asparagus or probiotic yoghurt.

It's also possible you have a medical condition called SIBO: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...erial-overgrowth/symptoms-causes/syc-20370168

My wife was suffering from that and she had to pay close attention to what she would eat or she'd turn into a balloon :)

I'm sorry you're having that issue, Kayelle. I'm not finding much help for preventing it, except for what you're already doing. Maybe reducing the portion you eat at a time will help..

And microwave cooking is fine. If you don't cook them in water, it's actually one of the best ways to cook vegetables because the water-soluble vitamins stay put.

And microwave cooking is fine. If you don't cook them in water, it's actually one of the best ways to cook vegetables because the water-soluble vitamins stay put.

I've been reading conflicting information on this, just spent an hour doing research. Looks like there isn't a general consensus here, as usually. Some sources claim that microwave tends to kill certain enzymes, others say that it's actually a good method for preserving vitamins... go figure :)

I've been reading conflicting information on this, just spent an hour doing research. Looks like there isn't a general consensus here, as usually. Some sources claim that microwave tends to kill certain enzymes, others say that it's actually a good method for preserving vitamins... go figure :)
Both can be true. I'm just saying that cooking in the microwave is no better or worse than cooking with any other method.

By happenstance, I came across this information that might help you, " Kombu is often used to cook beans because it contains alpha-galactosidase, an enzyme that breaks down raffinose, the indigestible carbohydrate in beans responsible for flatulence."

Perhaps adding konbu to the meal or the water you're steaming? It will enhance the umami.

Source: https://www.seriouseats.com/science-of-aquafaba-meringues-5185233

laughs and giggles9.jpg

Maybe it's just me KL, but I've started peeling the stalks
of regulation Broccoli and it seems to be working.

shrug.png

Dunno ...

I'm surprised that anyone uses broccoli without peeling the stems. The stems are delicious, once they are peeled.

I can't say I've ever noticed that Broccoli gives me gas! But then living alone... who cares!

and yes - I peel the stalks but often they don't make it in the pot because I eat them before first!

By happenstance, I came across this information that might help you, " Kombu is often used to cook beans because it contains alpha-galactosidase, an enzyme that breaks down raffinose, the indigestible carbohydrate in beans responsible for flatulence."

Perhaps adding konbu to the meal or the water you're steaming? It will enhance the umami.

Source: https://www.seriouseats.com/science-of-aquafaba-meringues-5185233

Thanks so much for this post and by the way, it's good to meet you.:chef:
The word "konbu" was new to me, and here I am in the wee hours of the morning lost in a konbu rabbit hole. I sure know more than I did, and I'll try it when cooking broccoli next time.
I was turned on to a chef in Hawaii (love:wub: Hawaii) by our dear Kgirl here at DC, and I came across this recipe I want to try soon. I imagine you know how to make it also. Anyway, it looks like a lot of work, but I'll use my breakfast bar and stool to do much of the prep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PQDcRg_eg

Actually this prep looks a lot easier....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_rAPtVAeM

Last edited:
Got me on that one too, down the wonderful Konbu rabbit hole. Now need to find some - gotta try it at least once!

Kayelle, LOL, not sure I see the difference in prep between the two video's. Other than the length of time they were simmered?

Just FYI, the word is kombu. Book club members, remember it from the "Eight Flavors" book? It's what the Japanese chemist used to isolate MSG.

dragan, his rolling method looks easier to me...? :cool:

GG, whoops, kambu..thanks. However the second video calls it "Easy Pork Konbumaki"........hmmm, beats me. I can't spell English either..:smartass:

GG, [/B]whoops, kambu..thanks. However the second video calls it "Easy Pork Konbumaki"........hmmm, beats me. I can't spell English either..:smartass:
The kelp for making the broth is spelled kombu every time I've seen it, except for this recipe. I wonder if it's a regional variation, since it's an Okinawan dish, not strictly Japanese.

I have a friend who is Japanese and lived in the United States for a long time, and is also a food writer. I've asked her to clarify this for me.

LOL... evidently over time the name has changed for many reasons

Kombu
kunbu
kunfu - kofu

and probably even others that I can't even come close to pronouncing or figuring out the link of the similar sounding words in Chinese and Japanese and even into their dialectsl

Back
Top Bottom