ISO help/advice w/brisket and old smokey grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khoffman

Assistant Cook
Hey all, I'm wanting to knock this off my bucket list.
I need serious help on advice to cook a brisket on my old smokey grill. Suggestions, advice, what to do. Please help gang. Thanks a bunch!!

Place charcoal in a double row around the perimeter, and ignite one end. Lay a layer of dry smoking chips (I like fruit woods, maple, oak, and alder for this) on top of the charcoal. Create a drip pan out of heavy duty foil, and place in the middle. Put cooking grate in place. Let heat up with the lid off. Trim the brisket fat to your liking. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic on all sides. Place meat over the drip pan and cover.

Pickling spices:

1 Tbsp whole allspice berries
1 Tbsp whole mustard seeds (brown or yellow)
1 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp whole cloves
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
9 whole cardamom pods
6 large bay leaves, crumbled
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 stick cinnamon
½ teaspoons allspice
Or
Ready made pickling spice

Brine:

1/2 gallon water
1 cups Kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pink curing salt*
1 1/2 Tbsp pickling spices
1/4 cup brown sugar

Brisket:

1 4-5 pound beef brisket
1 Tbsp pickling spices

Method

Combine the brine ingredients together and place into a 1 gallon freezer bag. Place the beef into the bag and remove all of the air. Place in the fridge and turn over every four days. Leave for two weeks.

To cook the corned beef, remove it from the bring and rince. Place into a slow cooker and cover with water. Add 1 tbs. pickling spice and cook for 3 to 4 hours. Remove ans slice.st for 8 or so hours, or until the thickest part of the meat reaches 210' F' Baste ever half hour with a mop made up of water, brown sugar, garlic, and onion. Remove and let meat rest for 20 minutes before slicing against the grain.

To make Pastrami, smoke the corned beef as with the plain brisket, but without the mop, and with plenty of coarse black pepper on all sides of the meat.

Seeeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom