ISO help cooking couscous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pretty much like instant rice, Nick.
Boil the water, add couscous, remove from heat.
Fluff and eat!

The commonly available stuff, cook as described above. Most directions call for 1.5:1 water to couscous. I find I like it better at 1.25:1. If it's the really small couscous, then 1:1.

The real stuff is steamed in a special gadget called a couscouserie. And the instant variety is better that way too. America's test kitchen showed a home technique for this once.

thymeless

pretty much like instant rice, Nick.
Boil the water, add couscous, remove from heat.
Fluff and eat!
I would add one thing to this.

Boil water or other liquid (I prefer using stock), add couscous and cover, remove from heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff and eat.

I use instant cous cous and I just pour boiling water over it. Another thing you can do to make it tastier is add salt and olive oil before you put the boiling water in and give it a good stir before you let it stand for 5 minutes, then fluff it with a fork as normal.

I always like to have cous cous handy as it is one of the quickest things to cook, so it's great if you need a side dish in a hurry.

I would add one thing to this.

Boil water or other liquid (I prefer using stock), add couscous and cover, remove from heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff and eat.

I suppose I did just assume that part of the process... :cool:

I was just pointing it out because someone who does not know how to cook it would probably not assume it should be covered. I hope I didn't step on your toes Suzi!

Back
Top Bottom