Jacques Pepin is a national treasure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as he is still enchanting his fans, I say let him post his Facebook videos as long as he wants to. I would wager a bet that Mssr. Pépin has forgotten more than you have ever learned in your lifetime.

You would lose your wager, I was trained to do things he can't hope to do.
Before he started with PBS Julia Child was an occasional visitor where I worked, she wanted the chef to teach her, he did it a couple of times on her program, then turned her down, he didn't like the studio culture .
Pepin took the offer and was never to work in a kitchen again and it shows.
He's trying to make a buck selling his rehashed books, my boss retired a multi millionaire, he was far more talented than Pepin.
I've known a couple of others who fell for the PBS bait and came up short in the end.

While I can see what Jacques and Julia are capable of cooking, I can only take your word for your skills and talents. Right now I am thinking that you might be just as credible as that Nigerian prince who wanted to gift me with millions of dollars...if I only would give him my bank account and social security numbers.

Still watching Jacques. When will we get to see your videos?

While I can see what Jacques and Julia are capable of cooking, I can only take your word for your skills and talents. Right now I am thinking that you might be just as credible as that Nigerian prince who wanted to gift me with millions of dollars...if I only would give him my bank account and social security numbers.

Still watching Jacques. When will we get to see your videos?

Think of it like this, is anyone offering to open a restaurant to put Pepin in the kitchen ? I get those offers to come out of retirement.

Consider why so many pros refuse to come out of the kitchen and go into TV. Theres a huge demand, so why doesn't it happen. When it does we get clowns like Emeril.

Generally I don't bother making cooking videos because anyone can cook. I prefer to make videos that debunk internet bs.

I recently tried to find a recipe for choc mousse, you'd think there has to be at least one, no dice, not on youtube or the rest of the internet.
Its been lost to time .
Chocolate, eggs and cream, nothing else.
Take the chocolate mousse challenge.
https://youtu.be/A9VOeOv-CBE

exactly my point, they aren't real mousse, they're mostly sloppy pudding.
Most of them have to be poured into a glass because they have no body at all.
Thats called a flop.

Heston Blumenthal made water ganache and thinks he made mousse.

Ramsey made (or tied to make) whipped cream mixed with hot melted chocolate, the video cut off because, most assuredly the whole thing melted. Chocolate whipped cream isn't mousse, its called La Creme Fondante.

So, gerardj, it's not that there aren't recipes for chocolate mousse on YouTube. It's that there you couldn't find one that meets your standards. Gotcha.

I was curious about your requirement that chocolate mousse only contain chocolate, eggs, and cream. No sugar? How sweet is the chocolate you use?

Callebaut 811 Semi sweet,
the recipe I put in my video was the norm yrs ago, as skills diminished in kitchens it became more doctored with emulsifiers and extenders (sugar, butter, coffee etc).
Fast fwd to today and you can't even find the undoctored mousse recipe.

When sugar is added the balance of the sweetness is lost, it can be countered by using bittersweet but the added sugar still affects the texture, it loosens it.
Sugar is a liquid in crystal form, subject it to 2% moisture and it reverts to its fluid form. The whole problem is avoided by not adding extra sugar, but then the lack of skill makes itself obvious.
And round and round it goes.

Last edited:
I'm sort of curious, what is a mousse, a chocolate mousse, if not chocolate and whipped creme?

edit:
at the same time, define ganache.

Last edited:
Callebaut 811 Semi sweet,
the recipe I put in my video was the norm yrs ago, as skills diminished in kitchens it became more doctored with emulsifiers and extenders (sugar, butter, coffee etc).
Fast fwd to today and you can't even find the undoctored mousse recipe.

When sugar is added the balance of the sweetness is lost, it can be countered by using bittersweet but the added sugar still affects the texture, it loosens it.
Sugar is a liquid in crystal form, subject it to 2% moisture and it reverts to its fluid form. The whole problem is avoided by not adding extra sugar, but then the lack of skill makes itself obvious.
And round and round it goes.
The chef in the video I shared mentioned that too much sugar in the chocolate changes the texture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom