Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Some of those look pretty good. The cauliflower "rice" has been a regular item in my diet lately. :chef:

I've been using cauliflower or broccoli mash as my afternoon snack. Sometimes sauteed in bacon fat shredded cabbage.

I get the Costco size packages of cauliflower and broccoli, boil each up to easily mashed and portion into servings with butter salt and pepper, toss in the freezer. They are ready for a quick snack or meal. I put them in my lunchbag and they thaw in time for afternoon snacks, just warm in the microwave.

To clarify, until I gave up sugar, I never found Broccoli or Cauliflower as favorite items in my diet, I avoided them as much as possible. Now I crave them.

[...]

To clarify, until I gave up sugar, I never found Broccoli or Cauliflower as favorite items in my diet, I avoided them as much as possible. Now I crave them.
:LOL::LOL: I would think the low carb salad recipe I posted would make it into your lunchbox...:LOL:Funny how once you quit sugar, your cravings change. I often crave veggies.

:LOL::LOL: I would think the low carb salad recipe I posted would make it into your lunchbox...:LOL:Funny how once you quit sugar, your cravings change. I often crave veggies.

Your low carb salad makes it into my diet most days, love that I can eat bacon everyday. I do try to keep it to 3 slices a day.

My wife is that way with cauliflower now, too. I'm that way with tomatoes. I don't eat them very often because I know how much sugar is in them. So on the rare occasions I have them, it's like a special treat. Tomatoes are the new ice cream. :LOL:

I also have weird cravings for red meat now, which is new for me. I was mostly a chicken and fish eater in my former life. So just the other day, I was grocery shopping and walked by a refrigerator bin of bulk packaged pork chops (not center cut, but the real fatty kind) that were on sale for $1.69 a pound. They were such a good price I ended up buying three 8-packs. It's funny that the lean cuts are so much more expensive, but it's the fatty ones that I crave.

Pork chops are something I may have eaten once or twice a year previously, but lately I've been occasionally enjoying the darned things for breakfast. And at $0.80 a chop, they are as cheap as bacon and eggs. :yum:

Last edited:
If I didn't have a freezer full of half a grass fed beef...I'd be all over the pork in the store, the fattier the better.

I'm on a fat fast for a week, at a plateau, time to nudge it. Unfortunately, my new cookbooks showed up on Friday.

I am so sick this week. It's been bad since Friday night. So I went to the doctor today, and this is the doctor who has been very supportive of my diet. She sighed hard and said, "You need to switch to the BRAT diet." (Bananas, Rice, Apples, and Toast/Tea.) It's suppose to be for a few days, but I feel like it is a huge step backwards.

What do you eat when you are sick?

So sorry to hear you're sick, Kathleen. I'd stick with BRAT. Hope you're better soon!

With some tweaks, I bet PF/Steve could make this into an amazing Keto-friendly dish.

Closet Cooking: Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole
This looks good. I would probably just replace the black beans with a suitable protein (chicken, beef, or pork would work) and call it good.

I just recently saw a recipe for low carb flaxseed tortillas, so I may have to do some Mexican cooking here soon.

Last edited:
This looks good. I would probably just replace the black beans with a suitable protein (chicken, beef, or pork would work) and call it good.

I just recently saw a recipe for low carb flaxseed tortillas, so I may have to do some Mexican cooking here soon.
I thought you'd have to replace the beans and the corn, and the commercial enchilada sauce. I was thinking meat instead of the beans. Pork or chicken were my first thoughts. Might have to back off on the cheese--that looks pretty gooey!

I thought you'd have to replace the beans and the corn, and the commercial enchilada sauce. I was thinking meat instead of the beans. Pork or chicken were my first thoughts. Might have to back off on the cheese--that looks pretty gooey!

Cheese is fine and perfectly fits in with a ketogenic diet (which is both low carb AND high fat).

You could use vegetables other than corn. Green beans and bell peppers, for example. It's been a long time since I've picked up a can of enchilada sauce, so I'm not sure of the ingredients. Generally speaking, some of the thickeners used commercially are keto friendly. It more boils down to what the carbohydrate content is.

I don't know if beets are Keto friendly or not, but I am so in love with golden beet chips (deep-fried, thinly sliced) dipped in yogurt with "Chef's seasoning" (don't know what that is--bought it at the African market--a bit of citrus, hot pepper, garlic, onion, dill...) I mix up the "dip" while the chips are in the deep fryer...sprinkle a bit of salt on the chips when you take them out of the fryer--just like potato chips. Crunchy, salty if you put the salt on, could go with a burger, on top of s/thing (dare I say hot dish?), yummy.

Last edited:
Depends on the natural carb load in the beets = 13 g carbs per serving with 4 g dietary fiber brings them to 9 g carb a serving. I am only allowed 9 g carb per day to stay in ketosis.

Breakfast
coffee with 1 T coconut oil and 1 T heavy cream
1 egg in butter, can add cheese if I want

Snack
1/4 mixed nuts, almond heavy in the mix

Lunch
2 T homemade mayonnaise, 1 T spicy mustard, 1 T vinegar, 1 tsp dried herbs shaken together and poured over 1 1/2 cup shredded cabbage, topped with Tuna in oil or curried dark meat chicken

snack
butter lettuce with full fat cheese, oil and vinegar, sunflower seeds

dinner
more greens, usually asparagus, crimini mushrooms sauteed in butter, 2 ounce steak with butter, sometimes liver and onions over spinach, that is cooked in bacon grease. Many dinners are just steamed or sauteed veg with a butter heavy sauce.

If I need another snack cheese with butter, maybe ham slice or I may treat myself with 1 ounce of 82% chocolate.

I drink water all day, sometimes just plain black coffee or tea.

No grains, no sugar, only thing canned I eat is the tuna.

Last edited:
Thought it might be a good time to revive this thread. Is anyone here on DC still on a ketogenic diet?

I've managed to stick with it for almost 9 months now. I've lost about 80 pounds, but have plateaued recently. I don't have a lot more to lose, and if I don't lose anther pound, I'm okay with that. I've found it very, very easy to maintain my current weight on this diet - something I've never been able to do in the past.

I wanted to post a photo of a dinner I had recently while dining out in South Sioux City, Nebraska. It was what I would consider to be an almost perfect keto meal: a 6 ounce, 35-day aged (yes - 5 weeks!), grass-fed New York strip steak. At first, I thought the block sitting on top of the steak was cheese, but turned out to be 2 ounces of compound butter. The steak is also sitting in a pool of Bearnaise sauce. On the left is creamed Swiss chard with with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

I didn't lose any weight on this trip, but I didn't gain any, either. When I got home, I was happy to find I was the exact same weight as when I left. :)

img_1429543_0_9c2769f3f445262b6518691d507796a6.jpg

Last edited:
My most recent keto "find" doesn't involve food at all, but rather the lack of it. :)

For the last few weeks, I've been experimenting with a technique known as intermittent fasting (or IF) which is described in several keto resources, where you rely entirely on fat stores to provide fuel, rather than dietary fat.

Today I'm on the second day of a fast that began Tuesday evening. Weirdly, I don't feel much hunger at all. In fact I feel great, and was even able to go for a workout yesterday afternoon. I guess this is one of the advantages of being fully adapted to burning ketones instead of glucose derived from carbohydrates. Six months ago I wouldn't have been able to go without food for more than 12 hours at most.

The only "food" I've consumed has been coffee with cream in the morning, and just water for the remainder of the day. Tonight I plan on having a real dinner.

This has also (not surprisingly) brought my blood sugar down considerably. Yesterday it was in the low to mid 70s most of the day. When I got up this morning it was 79. Normally my BG is always around 90 in the morning. I'll continue to check it throughout the day to make sure it doesn't drop too low.

Full disclosure: I skipped the thread past this post.

Steve, I did this a few months back and dropped a lot of weight and got to eat like a slob once a day without feeling hungry. The first two days were weird because I had hungry feeling but I wasn't hungry. It showed me my "hunger" was really just habit. After that, I would get through my day, eat a combo of lunch and dinner meals between 6 and 8 pm and feel fine.

I am in the process of making a menu and trying out the slow carb diet to see how my luck is with that. Combined with EGCg, garlic and cold exposure, I've been able to eat like an absolute pig for days and remain at 196# when any other time, I would have gotten back to 215. I've actually been trying to get to an even 200# before I start my experiment, but I just can't put the last 4 pounds on.

Also, as a reply to your last post, when you hit the "end" of your weight loss, the only way left (without drugs) is eating constantly. I mean getting up in the middle of the night to make sure you constantly have something in your system. 80 pounds is amazing and congrats to you on your loss. From the best of my research you have to load up on protein basically every 4 hours. The clock is your drill sergeant, you eat when it tells you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom