Morton and Basset Vanilla Extract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Today at the market there was an in-store coupon for $5.00 off a 4 ounce bottle of Morton and Bassett vanilla extract. Vanilla was on the list so I put it in the cart. Even with the coupon we paid over $8.

The description on the bottle says:
Vanilla extract adds a mellow flavor and aroma to baked goods and is an essential ingredient in cookie, custard and ice cream recipes. For a perfect finish, pour two capfuls in a brewed pot of coffee or tea. Contains: vanilla bean extraction in 35% alcohol
[FONT=Times New Roman, Georgia, Times][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE][/FONT]

Anyone have experience using this particular brand of vanilla? What's your favorite brand and why?

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Today at the market there was an in-store coupon for $5.00 off a 4 ounce bottle of Morton and Bassett vanilla extract. Vanilla was on the list so I put it in the cart. Even with the coupon we paid over $8.

The description on the bottle says:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Georgia, Times][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE][/FONT]

Anyone have experience using this particular brand of vanilla? What's your favorite brand and why?

I use this brand .....love it the taste is so much better,
kades

PattY1

Washing Up
I make my own. I buy a cheap bottle of vodka and vanilla beans.:chef:

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
I am like Patty1, I make my own with two split beans in a bottle of light rum. I just let it sit for a couple of months before I use it. I have also used cognac in place of the rum. This is not true extract but a fifth of this stuff is much cheaper and tastier.

sparrowgrass

Head Chef
I make my own, as well. Arizona Vanilla has some good deals on beans. I bought a pound of Madagascars last time--that is enough for gallons of extract. It makes great little gifties!

I use cheap vodka, and, if I recall correctly, half a pound of beans per gallon of vodka.

natt12321

Assistant Cook
I use the Nielsen Massey Vanilla extract, it's £5.51 here but one website claims it to cost $20 for the 118ml (4 oz) bottle.

What makes vanilla so expensive there?:ermm:

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I also make my own vanilla, but I let it age for about 2 years. Began with a large batch, about a half gallon, and made more about halfway through that first batch's aging process.

In addition to my own vanilla, I use Neilsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste, which is awesomely intense "vanilla." Love it. I buy it by the 32-oz. bottle, which runs about $30 (U.S.).

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
In addition to my own vanilla, I use Neilsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean Paste, which is awesomely intense "vanilla." Love it. I buy it by the 32-oz. bottle, which runs about $30 (U.S.).

I saw this in the store too. I wasn't sure about it. What kinds of things do you do with it?

I'll have to check out making my own extract. Vanilla beans are ultra-expensive around here. A package with 2 beans generally runs $4 or so.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
I saw this in the store too. I wasn't sure about it. What kinds of things do you do with it?

I'll have to check out making my own extract. Vanilla beans are ultra-expensive around here. A package with 2 beans generally runs $4 or so.

If you are not sure about making your own take one bean and a pint of booze. Split the bean, the long way, and scrape the seeds into the booze then pop in the bean. Wait a couple of months and try it. I make a fifth using two beans and it costs me under $25.00. I make a bottle around the 4th of July each year and it is ready by Thanksgiving. I would not tell you this if it was not good. I am not one to waste booze:LOL:

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
Penzeys has good vanilla. We go to Mexico frequently, and get good, very cheap vanilla.

sparrowgrass

Head Chef
I always save out a bean or two and stick them in with some of that 'sugar in the raw'--coarse grained, brownish crystals. Leave it for a couple months and you will have vanilla sugar that is terrific for topping sugar cookies, in tea, or in yogurt.

After my vanilla beans have steeped in the vodka for 6 months to a year, I strain the beans out, bottle the vanilla and add another round of vodka to the used beans. The second batch takes a little longer, I think, to reach full strength.

I don't split my beans, I just chop them into little pieces.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom