My newly clean Weber Smoky, and do I season it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
As I have never used a Smoky mountain smoker, I don't know how to care for it now. I cleaned it as well as I could using either baking soda, soap and water, and soaked the rusty screws/bolts/etc. in either vinegar or weak citric acid to remove the rust. I'm very happy with how it looks! I'll probably try smoking some chuck or spatchcock and smoke a chicken on Monday (as I have both in my freezer) but do I need to oil it/season it like cast iron? It's so shiny now!

Attachments

• PXL_20240531_000557865.jpg
    PXL_20240531_000557865.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240531_000548780.jpg
    PXL_20240531_000548780.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 36
No, you don't need to season it. The coating inside and out are not porous, so seasoning would be pointless. If it were a new WSM, you would need to do a "burn in" to get rid of any manufacturing oils, but since it isn't new, you don't need to worry about that. What you used for cleaning is not anything that can hurt you.

The first thing I would cook is a pork butt (shoulder). That is the most forgiving cut of meat I know of. Being the first time you cook with this smoker, you will have learning to do as far as maintaining a reasonably steady temperature. You can do that with a pork butt without worrying about ruining your meat while you learn.

I prefer a bone-in pork butt, because it has a built-in doneness indicator. When the blade bone easily pulls out of the roast, it is done.

CD

Try pork shoulder for your first cook, or chicken or meatloaf.
Chicken needs a bit of a higher temp to crisp the skin, but thats not necessary. Smoked chicken tastes real nice

Back
Top Bottom