No Vitamin C in lemon juice (not from concentrate)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demoniac

Assistant Cook
Same brand of juice:

I noticed that their orange juice (not from concentrate) shows between 66% - 100% of daily value of Vitamin C.

But their Lemon juice (not from concentrate) shows 0% daily value of Vitamin C.

How can natural lemon juice from real lemons not contain even 1% vitamin C? I know lemon juice gets diluted with water but shouldn't there still be at least some percentage of Vitamin C remaining?

The Recommended Dietary Allowance of Vitamin C for adults 19 years and older is 90 mg daily for men and 75 mg for women. There is approximately 31 mg of Vitamin C in an average sized lemon, and about 53 mg vitamin C per 100 g of pure squeezed juice.

If the lemon juice you are talking about is pure lemon juice, and not just lemon flavoured water, it must contain Vitamin C, therefore there must be a mistake somewhere.

It may be "natural lemon juice" but it has still been processed and loses its potency quickly. Your best bet to get your Vitamin C from lemons it to use fresh lemons. Be sure to store it in a cool dark place.

My son squeezes his fresh lemon juice weekly and keeps it in a glass container in the fridge.

I believe that companies supplying Orange Juice are doing so under the assumption that people are basically drinking the juice for the Vitamins, etc.
So they add it back in extra. (edit)- and advertise it.

Lemon juice, on the other hand, is being used as a flavour enhancer or for its acidic value. Not really a morning drink. So Vitamin C disappears during processing and not added back.
If you want Vitamin C and the other goodies from lemons you will have to use the fresh in hand. Not from a bottle.

Just MHO

I believe that companies supplying Orange Juice are doing so under the assumption that people are basically drinking the juice for the Vitamins, etc.
So they add it back in extra. (edit)- and advertise it.

Lemon juice, on the other hand, is being used as a flavour enhancer or for its acidic value. Not really a morning drink. So Vitamin C disappears during processing and not added back.
If you want Vitamin C and the other goodies from lemons you will have to use the fresh in hand. Not from a bottle.

Just MHO

Interesting. This makes sense. Thanks, it was driving me crazy.

Same brand of juice:

I noticed that their orange juice (not from concentrate) shows between 66% - 100% of daily value of Vitamin C.

But their Lemon juice (not from concentrate) shows 0% daily value of Vitamin C.

How can natural lemon juice from real lemons not contain even 1% vitamin C? I know lemon juice gets diluted with water but shouldn't there still be at least some percentage of Vitamin C remaining?
Standard nutrition labels don't have a category for vitamins. Also, lemon juice "portion" are usually a teaspoon or tablespoon. Not sure if there's enough C in that much juice to register.

Standard nutrition labels don't have a category for vitamins. Also, lemon juice "portion" are usually a teaspoon or tablespoon. Not sure if there's enough C in that much juice to register.

Every statement here is wrong.

Most juice boxes list the % Daily Value of Vitamin A and Vitamin C.

And it's usually per 200 - 240 mL as the "amount" or "serving size".

Where in the world did you get that a "portion" of lemon juice is a teaspoon? Who the hell drinks a tablespoon of lemon juice?

Where in the world did you get that a "portion" of lemon juice is a teaspoon? Who the hell drinks a tablespoon of lemon juice?
Then to be clear you are talking about a juice box with lemon flavored juice. Correct?

Lemon juice made from concentrate, has a 5 ml serving size which is 1 tsp, and 2% vitamin C on the nutrition label--on the one in my cabinet.

Your comment is incorrect - and rude. Please check your facts before dissing someone's comments.

Juice boxes are NOT lemon juice. They are basically sugar water with some juice added for flavoring. Read the ingredients. Lemon juice is very strong and very tart. There is only a little added to the juice box, so little that the nutrients don't even measure.

Real lemon juice (from a lemon) is not packaged for drinking. You will get, at most, a couple tablespoons of juice from a single lemon, usually less. In its pure form, it is used as a flavor ingredient or a condiment, and measured in teaspoons. For most people, straight lemon JUICE is way too tart to drink.

What you are drinking is lemonade, not lemon juice. There is no nutrition, but lots of sugar.

Vitamin C may be added to fruit juices as a preservative.
I don't buy lemon or lime juice, so can't check the package.

We used to have those bright yellow small lemon juice "jars". Shaped a bit like a lemon. The taste of the stuff was terribly artificial to my taste buds (lime juice packaging was green).

I buy limes in season and throw them in the freezer as they are, and use when needed.

Vitamin C may be added to fruit juices as a preservative.
I don't buy lemon or lime juice, so can't check the package.

We used to have those bright yellow small lemon juice "jars". Shaped a bit like a lemon. The taste of the stuff was terribly artificial to my taste buds (lime juice packaging was green).

I buy limes in season and throw them in the freezer as they are, and use when needed.
I dislike most bottled citrus juice. The pure stuff tastes boiled and the ReaLemon and ReaLime and their imitators taste of the sulfites used as a preservative. I have, however, found some organic, Italian, lemon and lime juices that tasted like fresh squeezed. I would use them, if I could still find them.

You need to be a bit more consistent in your statements. In the OP you mention lemon juice. The you mention juice boxes. Are you talking about lemon juice (the stuff you squeeze out of a lemon) or a lemon flavored juice box?

As I said above, a portion of lemon juice is a teaspoon or tablespoon. A juice box is a drink that may be 6-8 fluid ounces.

I mostly use fresh lemons for juice, but I do keep a 250ml bottle of pure squeezed lemon juice for emergency use. The only details stated are:
100% natural lemon juice, no added sugar, no preservatives and no food coloring. About 8 fresh lemons were squeezed into each bottle
• Gluten-free, vegan friendly
• Pasteurized
• The lemon juice is ready to use and great for seasoning salads, fish etc. Can be used as a base for sauces, for making desserts and lemonade.

Back
Top Bottom