Peeve, Websites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Went to that hungryroot of whatever. I had to give up my email and they want a membership just to see what they got. Having not made a decision they started spamming me several times a day.

So I try imperfect foods and they want a membership, well I ain't doing that again.

I found this common where I looked for products for my business. Why do I need a membership to buy some toluene ? And no, it is not for sniffing.

I can buy from eBay without using my defunct membership. Amazon doesn't seem to have that option so I don't deal with them.

Seems to me like this is a license to spam.

T

Yahoo will let you have a number of "disposable" email addresses. That's handy for stuff like that. If there isn't an easy way to unsubscribe from getting those excessive emails, you can delete the disposable email address and never hear from them again. There are also other ways to get a disposable email address.

I'm sure that could help, thanks.

I had a company total one of my favorite emails - Zzactly@aol.com, and I got that with no numbers or anything. The company was handling rebates for some Global Computer items. Their name is/was Onrebates.

It was like every day I needed a new monitor. That is another stupid behavior by corporations, if you buy something their adaptive ads (you've seen them on sites, places you dealt with) is not quite the most effective, it puts their name out there, as a pest.

The only thing is I prefer not to sign up with Yahoo because of their TOS. I am not alone in this, and Yahoo is melded with AOL. But then I could look, maybe I don't care about privacy on those channels. Hell when I catch a buzz and start with these people it could be a TV show.

Thinking about it, I really only need one. But I need the original one. I got correspondence on that with Europe etc. Less now but still. Online friends. Ex-clients and other associates.

Changing main email is just, a drag.

HA, now I want to hear that song.

T

Who really cares about the TOS, when it's only email for signing up for stuff that you didn't want to sign up for. You aren't going to give them any personal info. If it turns out that they don't spam you and you want to keep up with them, then you can give them your real email addy.

I have been using Spamgourmet.com for a very long time. They forward all of the mail that goes to my disposable email addies to my main email. Heck, I even signed up here on DC with a spamgourmet email addy. Since you only get a max of 20 emails, unless you refresh the email addy, I made Discuss Cooking a "trusted sender".

I had a CompuServe email for ten or 15 years. Then switched to my current Gmail account 15 or20 years ago. Have had temporary secondary accounts over the years; Yahoo, Hotmail, and others I've forgotten. After a while, the various and sundry reasons that seemed to justify those second accounts have never proven to be worth the extra effort and complications in the long run.

That's my experience with the matter. I'm sure they are useful, even necessary, for other people though.

I have several different e-mail addresses with Gmail. My main one, which I use here, one for my Mom for her medical stuff and correspondence with family and old friends, and one for all my diabetes correspondence and forums.

Back
Top Bottom