Which air printer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
I’m looking to buy an air printer that will allow me to print documents from my iPhone email.

I only need to make a very few copies each year at tax time so I really don’t need a high volume workhorse.

Any thoughts on which air printer to buy, or stay away from, would be appreciated.

Thanks, B

I've always had HP printers. While they do make a decent printer, they don't last like they used to. AND, now they almost insist that you sign-up for "instant ink"...in other words, subscribe to have ink sent to you on some schedule. I won't do that, as my ink needs are not constant.

I have had an Epson Eco-tank printer for jeez around 6 years. The ink lasts forever between refills. I love it. I can print or scan using my iPhone. I can save to my phone picture library or send multiple copies (like a set of tax forms) as a PDF.

Last edited:
Aunt Bea, I have a Brother Monochrome Laser Printer , so obviously it does not print in colour. But the ink cartridge lasts forever! The ink is actually dry until printing - so never dries out. I don't use it often and have had it for over a year. No problems.

I used to have an HP, my DIL does, upstairs so if I need colour I use hers. The trouble with those are cartridges dry out without constant use. Are super expensive. You must have all cartridges in (with ink) for it to work - even just the black!

Ginny, I think what they do now is they can tell when your ink is low and will send a replacement (or something along those lines). I chose not to have it as the idea of someone monitoring something of mine remotely... smacks of intimidation! :LOL:

I would buy an inexpensive printer with Wi-Fi.
Most all have Wi-Fi and you can print to them from your iPhone.
I have an HP Photosmart (I never print photos). It was a little over $100 and I print from my iPhone.
Just make sure you revert to Safari when you want to print something. I have an iPhone 11.
My wife has the latest and does not need to choose Safari to print.
I print recipes from my phone all the time.
And lastly. Once you have exhausted your included ink do not buy HP cartridges. They are overpriced and you can get virtually the same thing in generic online.

My printer needs all color (4 or 5) cartridges to operate. If you can find a black and white Wi-Fi printer for a reasonable cost that's the way I will go next time.
Good luck.

I would buy an inexpensive printer with Wi-Fi.
Most all have Wi-Fi and you can print to them from your iPhone.
I have an HP Photosmart (I never print photos). It was a little over $100 and I print from my iPhone.
Just make sure you revert to Safari when you want to print something. I have an iPhone 11.
My wife has the latest and does not need to choose Safari to print.
I print recipes from my phone all the time.
And lastly. Once you have exhausted your included ink do not buy HP cartridges. They are overpriced and you can get virtually the same thing in generic online.

My printer needs all color (4 or 5) cartridges to operate. If you can find a black and white Wi-Fi printer for a reasonable cost that's the way I will go next time.
Good luck.
@Roll_Bones, have you tried "installing" a new printer (the same one you have), as a Black only printer? Then, it won't use the other cartridges, even though they are there???

You can do that?
Yes, you can. I've done it. Do a www search for installing a printer twice, or something similar...you'll want to name that one so you recognize is as the black only printer and maybe even select it as your "default" printer (to save ink)...you'll have to change the "printer properties" so it is fooled into printing black ink only.

For a ". . .very few copies each year at tax time . . .", I wouldn't buy a printer, I'd find a friend who'd let me use theirs.
In the long run it will be better for me and my family/friends if I buy a printer and maintain my independence not to mention my financial privacy.

First, I need to dig out the owners manual on my old inexpensive HP printer and see if it is Wi-Fi compatible.

If not, it looks like I should be able to find a solution for under $100.00.

hmmm, didn't know that! Thanks Ginny. Not that I have one anymore but, hey, you never know.
Trouble with some printers they have code on the ink packs - generic packs don't and printer won't accept them.
They've smarted themselves right out of a sale.

In the long run it will be better for me and my family/friends if I buy a printer and maintain my independence not to mention my financial privacy.

First, I need to dig out the owners manual on my old inexpensive HP printer and see if it is Wi-Fi compatible.

None of my business...and you need not write a response...but a question for you: What do you do with those papers, once you print them? In other words, do you really need a printed copy? So many things are done electronically, these days. If you are taking them to someone (tax person, maybe)...they would likely be just as happy with a copy downloaded to a thumb drive? Or zipped (encoded) and emailed? :unsure:

I agree. I hope you find what you need and it's a good price.

I checked my old HP printer manual and it does appear to have Wi-Fi/e-print capability.

I need to take some time to fire up the printer and the computer to see what I need to do so my Spectrum cable modem will recognize the printer.

It’s times like this when I really miss having a fresh pack of cigarettes and an ashtray next to me.

1691261281739.jpeg

Last edited:
None of my business...and you need not write a response...but a question for you: What do you do with those papers, once you print them? In other words, do you really need a printed copy? So many things are done electronically, these days. If you are taking them to someone (tax person, maybe)...they would likely be just as happy with a copy downloaded to a thumb drive? Or zipped (encoded) and emailed? :unsure:
My CPA is never happy!

I sign them and scan them back into a pdf file, attach the file to an email and return them to my CPA.

The paperwork is official IRS CYA that authorizes my CPA to e-file my returns.

I’ve looked at the cost of electronic signature guarantee software and it is too expensive for this little once a year inconvenience.

The good news is, these little challenges help to stave off senility. 🤭

Epson ecotank doesn’t have codes. You pour the ink into the tank. Ihave this printer about 8 years. Only refilled the black ink once and have never refilled any color ink. I print a lot of stuff.

My CPA is never happy!

I sign them and scan them back into a pdf file, attach the file to an email and return them to my CPA.

The paperwork is official IRS CYA that authorizes my CPA to e-file my returns.

I’ve looked at the cost of electronic signature guarantee software and it is too expensive for this little once a year inconvenience.

The good news is, these little challenges help to stave off senility. 🤭
I have a vendor like that. I complained that I've bought and sold houses without ever "ink signing" a single thing...yet they insist on ink signature and a fax of same. Sigh.

Fortunately, my CPA isn't like that. Good thing, since he's in So. Cal. and I'm in So. Washington! He initiates the DocuSign & I just "sign" it.

I'm the same Ginny. CPA initiates and I sign. I have no problem doing that. But he then does send me hard copies later on in the mail.
I do not store anything important only electronically. Sorry, but it is too easy to lose. I have hard copies as well. It is all just stored by individual servers located around many places. Even they could possibly crash and burn.

I'm the same Ginny. CPA initiates and I sign. I have no problem doing that. But he then does send me hard copies later on in the mail.
I do not store anything important only electronically. Sorry, but it is too easy to lose. I have hard copies as well. It is all just stored by individual servers located around many places. Even they could possibly crash and burn.
Yes, I keep all my "hard copy" that I send to CPA and I print out a copy of the finished thing, then I'm done! It sounds simple...it is not! Like pulling teeth, every year...but I have spreadsheets that I update monthly and it does simplify things...a bit.

I still run an old 10-12 year old HP printer. It's color but I run it in only black ink. If I need to print taxes, that's $40 once a year. I use it in 'draft mode', to use the least ink. Once this printer dies, I'll print things out at the local shipping/printing shop we use and keep my files on thumb drive (with another thumb drive for backup).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom