Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Our family on my father's side lost my uncle and my dad (4 years ago) to pancreatic cancer. Also our grandmother to breast cancer which spread, and an aunt is currently fighting breast cancer that has spread.

We are now (that generation and my generation and eventually my children's generation) will be getting genetic testing for mutations which may cause these cancers. The geneticist says it is possible all of these cancers are the result of the same mutation, possible, and there are other mutations that can be at work here too.

I bring this up to you, because catching it early and being aware can possibly help your family as it is helping ours.

Through color.com tests (other companies too) can be run to test for these mutations. Once a first degree relative has a mutation, insurance companies do at times pay for the genetic testing on the relatives. When my father died, a vial of blood was frozen, and now can be tested. Then our generation will get tested if it is a possibility.

Again, sorry for your loss. Grief can be so difficult. God Bless you and yours.

Thank you. I appreciate that tip. I actually was thinking about that.

Not sure if this is the right place, but I don’t know where to put this. It’s not really a vent either. My father past away after battling pancreatic cancer. The suffering is over.
I'm so sorry for you and your family. It's a bit of a cliche to say that he is out of his suffering now but it's true.

I'm going to Church on Sunday (I don't go very often) so I'll slip a prayer in for your Dad and your family. I know you aren't Christian but it's the same God when all is said and done.

This is the petty vents thread...right?

I bought some Sai Baba Nag Champa insense sticks online. The worlds favorite. Anyways, there's lots of knock offs being sold. I fell for such. (Chinese knockoff). eBay bought.

Side Note: There's a key plant additive that's just not available now in the making of Nag Champa... for all those who say Sai Baba Nag Champa is not the same anymore, it's not that. It's just that that plant additive is too rare now. Current authentic Sai Baba Nag Champa is still better than the Chinese knock off sticks I received. I got burned. The box looks authentic and all, but the sticks are thin and aren't very aromatic. They go out half way down the stick. I received Chinese counterfeit merchandise, the eBay price was too good to pass up.

Last edited:
:angry:Right now, my rant is about F bombs in movies. Ok, every now and then an occasional F bomb, but when it's used dozens of times in the dialog it's distracting and just stupid. Don't writers get it? The shock value is gone. I'm no prude and have been known to rarely use the word, but to use it constantly as an adjective is beyond ridiculous. Come on people!! Grrrrrr:mad:

:angry:Right now, my rant is about F bombs in movies. Ok, every now and then an occasional F bomb, but when it's used dozens of times in the dialog it's distracting and just stupid. Don't writers get it? The shock value is gone. I'm no prude and have been known to rarely use the word, but to use it constantly as an adjective is beyond ridiculous. Come on people!! Grrrrrr:mad:

Sadly, Kayelle, there are people who talk like that. We just don't hang around in those circles.

Sadly, Kayelle, there are people who talk like that. We just don't hang around in those circles.
I once worked next to a guy who talked like that All. The. Time. Every other word was s---, f---, d--- or h---. And he spent a lot of time on the phone talking like that to someone (it was a defense contractor job and we didn't have a lot to do; I only stayed four months). I hated it, complained several times and was basically ignored.

We were sitting next to a couple of young women 2 weeks ago when we went out for lunch. One of them talked nearly nonstop (I an NOT exaggerating) and the F-bomb was very frequently used.

Craig looked at me once when her babbling got a bit loud with sort of an arched eyebrow look. I quietly said she sounds just like a Valley Girl. He snorted and said he was thinking exactly the same thing but they used less F-bombs.

:angry:Right now, my rant is about F bombs in movies....
And it's not like it's a new thing, either. I remember when Himself and I went to see Eddie Murphy's "Beverly Hills Cop". Had to look it up - it was released in 1984. When we walked out I said to him "if they hadn't included all of those F-bombs, the movie would have been half an hour shorter".

Too many f-bombs is boring. Can't the writer think of any better adjectives?
One of Himself's high school English teachers told the class that there was no reason to use any sort of vulgar word, considering that the English language offered over 170,000 other words one could pick from. :ermm: Pretty sure he probably told the class to not end a sentence with a preposition either...

And it's not like it's a new thing, either. I remember when Himself and I went to see Eddie Murphy's "Beverly Hills Cop". Had to look it up - it was released in 1984. When we walked out I said to him "if they hadn't included all of those F-bombs, the movie would have been half an hour shorter".

One of Himself's high school English teachers told the class that there was no reason to use any sort of vulgar word, considering that the English language offered over 170,000 other words one could pick from. :ermm: Pretty sure he probably told the class to not end a sentence with a preposition either...

It was never a need. It’s a choice.

That's easy to fix "from one could pick," though sounds kind of formal.:LOL:

That's easy to fix "from one could pick," though sounds kind of formal.:LOL:
It does. So does changing "Who are you talking about?" to "About whom are you talking?" My favourite fix was credited to Winston Churchill, when he was criticized for ending a sentence with a preposition. It's probably not true that he said it. "This is nonsense up with which I will not put." :LOL:

Sometimes it's hard to avoid. I stopped in a local mini mart out on the highway a couple of weeks ago for a soda, and this little teen gal in front of me was on her phone and used language that would have made my sailor dad cringe back in the day.

The sad part was not so much the language, I can deal with that. It was the fact that she was so completely absorbed in her phone call and oblivious to everything around her. :wacko: She continued her rant on her phone at the register, plopped a few bucks on the counter, accepted her change as correct, gathered her purchase, turned around and ran smack into me, and left the store. She had no clue of her surroundings. :(

Check your library, Casey. I can get all the DVDs through the library system - all seven seasons. Winter binge watching, if winter ever shows up for you. I bet it will!

Check your library, Casey. I can get all the DVDs through the library system - all seven seasons. Winter binge watching, if winter ever shows up for you. I bet it will!

I want NEW shows like that!

I'd like a real President Bartlett, too.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom