Philly Chicken Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
I love my Philly Chicken sandwich but I want a long crusty bread roll that isn't like Wonder Bread. Any suggestions

One thing you can do if you can't find a suitable bun is buy a panini, sub or hoagie bun from the supermarket ad heat it up for a few minutes in the toaster oven..This will harden the crust..let it cool and try that..

Honestly, our local Safeway has pretty good French and sourdough baguettes. They are individually bagged on an island just in front of the bakery counter.

One thing you can do if you can't find a suitable bun is buy a panini, sub or hoagie bun from the supermarket ad heat it up for a few minutes in the toaster oven..This will harden the crust..let it cool and try that..

Thanks for the response. I've tried that but the one's i've tried are still to soft inside. I am looking for a hearty bread.

We usually use whole wheat baguette. We just cut off the size we want to eat and stick the rest back in the fridge in a plastic bag. When I was first introduced to "Philly subs", it was at a Greek greasy spoon, here in Montreal. They used white bread submarine sandwich bread. They opened it up and put the cut side on their griddle until it had browned. That really helped make the bread a bit more solid.

I will have to try Safeway. A sandwich size baguette would be great
The Safeway ones are 8 ounces and long enough for at least two sandwiches. When fresh they have a pretty good crust on them, but still soft on the inside. If you want it even crustier just leave it on your counter for a day or two and they'll get really crusty!

Here is a pict of the sourdough one, but they have French as well.

baguette.png

Back
Top Bottom