Prairie Grass Fire in NE Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Yesterday we were under an evacuation warning for a 35,000 wildfire that ultimately passed about 6 miles north of town. Several farms were burned, and one rancher lost 200 head of cattle. Here are a couple of photos I took today of the aftermath. The fire took the grass and left the sand and dirt with nothing to hold it back.

This is very similar to the photos we see of the Dust Bowl in the 1930's:
i-rmmbWv4-XL.jpg

This is, or was, a row of cedars that should be all green:
i-MCvPnMK-XL.jpg

On the right is how the pasture looks normally this time of year. On the left is how it is after the fire:
i-GXzzPHj-XL.jpg

Sorry to hear about it so close to you. I just read about the same fire outbreak that extends into Texas, where at least three ranch-hands were killed by the fires.

We get them here in North Texas from time-to-time. Prairie fires don't look like forest fires. The flames are knee-high in many cases, but do some incredible damage, and kill a lot of animals -- and sometimes people.

CD

So sorry, Rick. Such a tragedy in such a beautiful part of the country. Be well, and keep us informed.

I recently watched a special on TV...can't remember if it was NatGeo or the History Channel, but there was a 3 or 4 part special on the Dustbowl. My grandmother was there at the time, I think she lived in Kansas. I can't imagine living through that, but they did. :ohmy::(

How sad for your area, Rick. It's terrible about the cattle, but at least no one lost their lives during the fires.

Actually, 7 people died in today's wildfires. 5 in Texas, one each in Kansas and Oklahoma. None in Colorado... yet.

CD

(Yes, I saw the bold print)

Last edited:
This is borriable I can't even read it. Anyway these two young people. A man and his girlfriend were overtaken by the fire in McLean trying to save cattle.

Big brush/Everglades fire in Collier county. Then again, sawgrass and many other plants require the fire burn off in order for new growth to begin.

Will that help with the boa constrictor problem read about in today's paper?

Do people set those snakes in your area? They have to be as good as rattlesnake I would think.

My friend in Iowa routinely burns off his prairie grass on his farm. Some of it has never seen a plow and has rare flowers.

Last edited:

Do people set those snakes in your area? They have to be as good as rattlesnake I would think.

What problem? I can't find anything in today's news on a boa constrictor problem in Colorado.

And what do you mean by "set these snakes"? Did you mean release?

Darn auto correct - eat those snakes.

I was responding to Craig mentioning the burning of saw grass in the Everglades.

Actually, 7 people died in today's wildfires. 5 in Texas, one each in Kansas and Oklahoma. None in Colorado... yet.

CD

(Yes, I saw the bold print)
You're right, my comment was related directly to Rick's comment about the fire near him. I did see on the news that these fires have claimed lives. So sad...

My friend in Iowa routinely burns off his prairie grass on his farm. Some of it has never seen a plow and has rare flowers.

The problem in the Everglades are invasive Afroc, Burmese and the new Afroc/Burmese cross breed pythons which, the former two, escaped from import facilities during hurricane Andrew. The area burning has not had any reports of pythons that I know of. All Florida venomous snakes require a permit to possess. To get a permit you must have 1000 hours of training under a permit holder to even apply. I keep snakes, so I would not be eating them.;)

Last edited:
The problem in the Everglades are invasive Afroc, Burmese and the new Afroc/Burmese cross breed pythons which, the former two, escaped from import facilities during hurricane Andrew. The area burning has not had any reports of pythons that I know of. All Florida venomous snakes require a permit to possess. To get a permit you must have 1000 hours of training under a permit holder to even apply. I keep snakes, so I would not be eating them.;)

Cozumel had a similar problem with boas, just left behind after a movie was filmed there. They proceded to gobble up a lot of the native birds and small mammals, including kittens and puppies. Then Hurricane Wilma came along and blew most of them out to sea.

So sorry to hear about the wildfires. Mother Nature can do some very unkind things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom