Question about mixers need help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobefn

Assistant Cook
I wanted to make some homemade cookies and I would like to knew what kind of mixer I should use? Right bow I have a sunbeam mixer its an older one with the glass bowl the spins. Or should I go out and buy a kicten aid one before makeing the cookies? thanks for any help.

What kind of cookies are they? I don't have a stand mixer, just a hand mixer, and I make cookies occasionally. You may not need a mixer at all, depending on the type of cookie.

Use your Sumbeam. If it works, you've saved several hundred dollars. If the Sumbeam doesn't work, buy a KA.

Any KitchenAid model or the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000.

They are both very good, but the K'Aid Stand Mixer might be more within your reach moneywise. The EA is a bit steep, costing over $500.

That is if you ever have to replace your trusted Sunbean Stand Mixer somewhere down the road.

Any KitchenAid model or the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000.

They are both very good, but the K'Aid Stand Mixer might be more within your reach moneywise. The EA is a bit steep, costing over $500.

That is if you ever have to replace your trusted Sunbean Stand Mixer somewhere down the road.

Bread wasn't mentioned, so I wouldn't think the DLX (Electrolux Assistent) is justified - and for cookies, the main reason for the mixer is creaming the butter, which to be honest I find to be a bit more work in the DLX than in a standard mixer.

Personally I'm wary of KA with their quality control issues over the last few years. For those who want a smaller, less expensive mixer my current recommendation is the Bosch Compact. It costs less (under $200) and takes less space than the KA and many dealers are offering great deals on it with accessories included. While I haven't played with it personally, I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the machine.

I've been tempted to get a Bosch Compact myself for things like cookies, etc, but my gf keeps reminding me of our limited kitchen/storage space. I'm only allowed to get new kitchen stuff if I get rid of something similar - and I'm not giving up my DLX for anything! (If she hadn't made that rule, I'd probably be one of those appliance collectors, with multiple mixers, FPs, stick blenders, etc. I replaced my KA with the DLX when I got into bread baking)

I forgot to mention it, but yes, the Electrolux Assistant DOES HAVE THE POWER TO KNEAD BREAD DOUGH. It can knead dough recipes using up to 5lbs of flour in one batch.

It excels in doing this, and has been trusted for many, many years as a dough maker.

Oh, I didn't mean that you should have mentioned it. I meant that it didn't sound like kobefn was going to be using the mixer for bread, and that bread was the big justifier for spending ~$500 for a DLX.

Oh, sorry. But all of the K'Aid mixers can do that as well, as you know.

It's been quite a while since I made bread dough with mine. I used to do it all the time with the K-45SS.

kobefn, I acquired my KitchenAid nearly 20 years ago. Before that, I baked hundreds of dozens of cookies using a less expensive stand mixer (maybe an Oster - don't remember) to cream the butter and it worked just fine. Unless you want to make bread (or divinity, but that's another story), your Sunbeam should work fine for creaming the butter and sugar for cookies. If you decide to step up a bit, you may want to check eBay for a more vintage KA - since Hobart stopped making them (they are now manufactured by Whirlpool), the quality has possibly suffered.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time and read my question and answer back. thanks so much.

You're welcome.

Supposedly, the quality is still there, accoding to Whirlpool.

The mixers were shown being made once on an episode of Unwrapped on the Food Network. But nevertheless, I'm keeping my original Hobart-made K-45SS.

But I wish you good luck with making your cookies. And I hope that your Sunbeam mixer holds up. It should.

Last edited:
Me too, Corey. A friend came over to visit our house for the first time last night and said to my husband, "Jerry, if anything ever happens to Karen, can I have the KitchenAid?" They are almost impossible to find here - saw a new one at Puerto Vallarta Costco last week for the equivalent of over $600. I'm really glad I shipped it down here!

If your Sunbeam mixer is working just fine - use it! You don't have to go out and buy a specific brand mixer just because some TV cooking demonstrator used one to make a particular thing on TV. KitchenAid is one of the sponsors for Alton Brown's shows (and a lot of others), I've seen Paula Deen use an old Sunbeam mixer (like you are describing) before - and Gale Gand used a Hobart N-50.

If your Sunbeam mixer is working just fine - use it! You don't have to go out and buy a specific brand mixer just because some TV cooking demonstrator used one to make a particular thing on TV. KitchenAid is one of the sponsors for Alton Brown's shows (and a lot of others), I've seen Paula Deen use an old Sunbeam mixer (like you are describing) before - and Gale Gand used a Hobart N-50.

Sara Moulton also used the N-50 on her cooking show Sara's Secrets.

Paula Deen also used a K'Aid Stand Mixer a few times as well. Emeril used to use a green one on his show Emeril Live. He uses one on Essence.

Alton Brown also has one on his show - with a flame-shaped yellow on it. There's a red one on Down Home With the Neelys. And those FN shows where contestants do bake-offs and cook-offs they use the bowl-lift ones.

There's also one on Barefoot Contesa. Seems the machine is widely used almost everywhere.

Funny - I don't even notice the brands of appliances and gadgets the TV chefs use :) And since I discovered no-knead bread, it would never occur to me to buy a mixer specifically for making bread. No need, since it's no-knead! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Funny - I don't even notice the brands of appliances and gadgets the TV chefs use :) And since I discovered no-knead bread, it would never occur to me to buy a mixer specifically for making bread. No need, since it's no-knead! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Haha!!:LOL:

That was a good one, GG! I just had to laugh because of it.

Seems to me that if your mixer will turn your dough without bogging down, you can make cookies. Sometimes I get hung up on new equipment, then I remember the best bread I ever ate was made daily with a hand turned mixer, the best corn bread made in a CI skillet which was probably my great great grandmas. Knives were so dull and old that I would not use them to open cans. Somehow my grandma got by, and she cooked for the fieldhands daily - on a corn cob stove.

My favorite was theParkerhouse dinner roles.

They came out so deilish and yum-o!! I mistakingly sold the cookbook that the recipe is in, and now the thing is awfully hard to find, since it was a Family Circle cookbook!

But the rolls were oooooohhhhh sooooooo warm, good and sweat. I have to try to find the recipe ine one of my other cookbooks and try to mimick the recipe!

I used to pile the rolls up in an Angel Cake (10-inch tube) pan, let them rise and bake them in a hot oven at about 425 degees for about 30 minutes.

And the K-45SS is perfect for making and kneading the dough! I used to knead it twice with the mixer between risings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom