REC Tortilla Soup recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I'm going to go ahead and post two different recipes. I thought I had three, but aparently the third one is different enough to not really be "Tortilla Soup". The first recipe is the one I make all the time. I originally "pinched" this recipe from a place I worked at. The original recipe yielded 4 gallons. I've cut it down to yield 1 gal. We sold a lot of this soup. We made 4 gallons every Friday, and usually had sold out by Saturday afternoon.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yields: about 1 gal

2 T olive oil
1 Red bell pepper, julienned
1 Green bell pepper, julienned
1 c yellow onion, julienned

15 oz can tomato sauce
1 T + 1 t chili powder
2 t curry
2 t poultry seasoning
2 t powdered garlic
¾ t cayenne
¼ c cilantro, chopped

1 chicken, cooked, picked, and rough chopped
1 qt Chicken stock
1 c white wine

Garnishes:
4 flour tortillas, cut into strips and deep fried
chopped green onions
grated cheddar cheese
sour cream

Sauté all vegetables in oil. Add the tomatoes and seasonings. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Mixture may stick to the bottom of the pan. Scrape this up, as it will add to the color and flavor of the soup. Then add the remaining ingredients. Simmer until flavors marry, about 30 minutes. Garnish and serve.

This is the other recipe I have. I've never actually made it.

Chicken Tortilla Soup II
Yield: 6 servings

½ c Onion; Finely Chopped
1 t Garlic; Finely Chopped
2 T Vegetable Oil
4 c Chicken Broth
¼ c Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 T cayenne
¾ t Basil Leaves
½ t Salt
¼ t Pepper
1 15 oz can Tomato Puree
½ c Vegetable Oil
10 6" Corn Tortillas, cut into ½” strips
2 c Chicken Breasts, cooked, and shredded
1 Avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1 Monterey Jack or Chihuahua Cheese to garnish

Cook and stir onions and garlic in 2 T oil in 4 qt Dutch oven until onion is tender. Stir in broth, bell pepper, cayenne, basil, salt and pepper, and tomato puree. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Heat the oil in 10” skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in oil until light golden brown, 30 – 60 seconds; drain. Divide tortilla strips and chicken among 6 bowls; pour broth over chicken. Top with cheese and avocado slices.

AllenMI said:
I'm going to go ahead and post two different recipes. I thought I had three, but aparently the third one is different enough to not really be "Tortilla Soup". The first recipe is the one I make all the time. I originally "pinched" this recipe from a place I worked at. The original recipe yielded 4 gallons. I've cut it down to yield 1 gal. We sold a lot of this soup. We made 4 gallons every Friday, and usually had sold out by Saturday afternoon.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Yields: about 1 gal

2 T olive oil
1 Red bell pepper, julienned
1 Green bell pepper, julienned
1 c yellow onion, julienned

15 oz can tomato sauce
1 T + 1 t chili powder
2 t curry
2 t poultry seasoning
2 t powdered garlic
¾ t cayenne
¼ c cilantro, chopped

1 chicken, cooked, picked, and rough chopped
1 qt Chicken stock
1 c white wine

Garnishes:
4 flour tortillas, cut into strips and deep fried
chopped green onions
grated cheddar cheese
sour cream

Sauté all vegetables in oil. Add the tomatoes and seasonings. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Mixture may stick to the bottom of the pan. Scrape this up, as it will add to the color and flavor of the soup. Then add the remaining ingredients. Simmer until flavors marry, about 30 minutes. Garnish and serve.

This is the other recipe I have. I've never actually made it.

Chicken Tortilla Soup II
Yield: 6 servings

½ c Onion; Finely Chopped
1 t Garlic; Finely Chopped
2 T Vegetable Oil
4 c Chicken Broth
¼ c Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
1 T cayenne
¾ t Basil Leaves
½ t Salt
¼ t Pepper
1 15 oz can Tomato Puree
½ c Vegetable Oil
10 6" Corn Tortillas, cut into ½” strips
2 c Chicken Breasts, cooked, and shredded
1 Avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1 Monterey Jack or Chihuahua Cheese to garnish

Cook and stir onions and garlic in 2 T oil in 4 qt Dutch oven until onion is tender. Stir in broth, bell pepper, cayenne, basil, salt and pepper, and tomato puree. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Heat the oil in 10” skillet until hot. Cook tortilla strips in oil until light golden brown, 30 – 60 seconds; drain. Divide tortilla strips and chicken among 6 bowls; pour broth over chicken. Top with cheese and avocado slices.

I'm making your soup for a freind who burnt her hands falling into a campfire a couple weeks back. She could definitely use a break from cooking for her crew of 7.

The menu includes Tortilla Soup (and thank you for sharing this recipe:D) ,Shredded Beef tacos, Carne Asada Meat for tacos or burritoes, Salsa Verde, Salsa Picante, Refried Beans, Enchilada Pie, and Cream/Caramel Flan.

I'm thinking lime-aid would be a good drink to go with this meal.

Again, Allen, thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Made the soup as the appetizer. Followed up with shredded beef tacos, carne asada burritoes, home made refried beans (made with black beans), quacamole, enchilada pie, and for desert, flan. It was a great meal and the freind and her family loved it. It was such a pleasure to be able to help someone who regularly cooks every night not only for her own family, but for a guest who shows up almost nightly, and the occasional missionaries who she invites.

This lady severly burnt one of her hands and it is all bandaged up. So she's been cooking with one hand for a couple of weeks now. She and her crew so enjoyed the meal. That's what cooking's all about, bringing people a bit of happiness.

If you haven't had the opportunity to make something for someone who could use a bit of help, do it. It benefits everyone involved, both you and hte recipeient, especially when you go all out and make it the absolute best that you know how.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom