Romanian recipes, romanian cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcorazon

Assistant Cook
Romanian recipes, romanian cuisine

Anyone here who is interested in romanian recipes, romanian cuisine ?

Please let me know.

Thanks

I am. All of my grandparents came from Romania in the first decade of the 20th century and have been gone for years. There are still a fair number of Romanian immigrants, but mostly children and grandchildren of Romanians in the town where I grew up in northern IL. Of course, my knowledge of the culture is handed down through several generations and you know what that does.

My mother makes the best stuffed cabbage I've ever tasted (of course, we all might have moms like that), and I'm trying to learn some of the baking tricks, but I'm not all that well versed in the ways of yeast doughs.

BC

Bluecat... can you post your mom's recipe?
I've been craving a really good meal of stuffed cabbage.
My polish grandmother used to make the best but, she's been gone
for years. Mom say's she makes hers the exact same way but, it's
just not it. Maybe, your recipe will come close.

Thanks, Trish

pdswife said:
Bluecat... can you post your mom's recipe?
I've been craving a really good meal of stuffed cabbage.
My polish grandmother used to make the best but, she's been gone
for years. Mom say's she makes hers the exact same way but, it's
just not it. Maybe, your recipe will come close.

Thanks, Trish

I sure will. I'll go look it up. Mom makes hers with coarse ground pork, by the way, although I've tasted it with beef too. Pork is by far my favorite way.

BC

Stuffed Cabbage

15 rolls

Ingredients:

1 ¾ Lb. pork butt, coarse ground
1 Med. onion, chopped
1 ¾ C. rice
5 Slices bacon, crisp, crumbled
1 Lb. can sauerkraut, drained
1 Qt. tomato juice
1 Head cabbage, 3 Lb.
1 ½ T. paprika
1 T. salt
2 t. black pepper

Directions:

Place cabbage head in a large pot of water. Heat until leaves become pliable. Peel off one leaf at a time, cut off thick outer vein and place leaves in tepid water. Saute onion in a little oil until golden. Add paprika. Mix together meat and rice. Add onions and bacon. Mixture should glisten. If not, add 1 T. oil. Use 1/3 c. measure of meat mixture per roll. Roll cabbages. In a large pot, place some of the small or torn leaves. Add a layer of rolls. Cover with some of the sauerkraut and a small amount of tomato juice. Layer rolls and sauerkraut without juice. Pour tomato juice over all. If top layer appears dry, add a little hot water. Cook on top of stove 15-20 minutes while heating oven to 325°. Pot should be covered. Transfer to oven. When juices begin to simmer, time for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 300°. Continue cooking for 1 hour. Make sure juices don’t boil. Reduce heat if necessary.

Sorry it took so long to get this posted.
BC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom