Saturday 12/17/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I am nursing my hand. My left ring finger locked down in a grabbing position and I had to pry it open to straighten it out again. Now I am in screaming pain. I scared the hell out of the cat. She was asleep in my lap and jumped so high I pictured cartoon Sylvester hanging upside down from the ceiling. I'm glad there is leftover pot roast and gravy hub can heat. Canned veg but no carb. I can't flex/bend or grab anything with that hand/finger without making my whole hand explode in firey pain.

Sorry to hear that mofet. What's causing it?

And did your cat pause in the air for a second with the leggs running, with that sound ay-e-e ay-e-e ay-e-e, then a ricochet and a little cloud appeared?

Oh jeez, msmofet, I'm so sorry. Ouch!

DH has been light-heartedly complaining that he didn't get lasagna leftovers from his birthday dinner this year, since we were in Michigan. I made lasagna and we had the dinner with his parents in the nursing home where she lives - it's also their anniversary - and I left the extra for his dad.

So this afternoon, I made lasagna from sauce in the freezer, so that's ready to pop in the oven. I need to go out to the garden and get salad greens before it gets too dark. I'll also make garlic bread with a loaf of no-knead bread I baked earlier in the week, and a quick tiramisu (never enough cheese!) for dessert.

Sorry to hear that mofet. What's causing it?

And did your cat pause in the air for a second with the leggs running, with that sound ay-e-e ay-e-e ay-e-e, then a ricochet and a little cloud appeared?

Lol no cloud of fur.

It's arthritis and this happened with several other fingers (for 6-12 months) before developing a bur at the base of the finger. The pain runs down my whole finger and down to the middle of my palm. When it happened with my thumb that was the worst. I couldn't grab anything. They are stiffening up and I can't snap my fingers, make a fist or straighten my fingers completely out.

Last edited:
Gosh Ms M, I sure wish you get past this Soon.

I love cat launches, burning rubber with their back claws as they launch themselves off.

Taking a cue from Steve K yesterday, although one hardly needs prompting for this, I have a pot of chili on the back burner. Will toss a cast iron pan of cornbread in the oven closer to dinner time.

Yikes, MsM! Hope it gets fixed soon!

I made my beloved sauerkraut/ground beef/rice/tomato soup hotdish. DH doesn't love it as much as I do, so I saved him out some unadulterated browned ground beef and he made himself a loose meat sandwich.

Craig is making spaghetti and meatballs.

MsM, are you sure it's not a trigger finger?

Sorry to hear of you hand issue, MsM. Hope your finger relaxes soon. Getting old isn't for sissies, is it?

I had a mini-soup-a-thon yesterday and made a 6-quart pot of who-needs-noodles chicken soup. So many veggies it's hard to find the broth! So it's soup.

Take care MsM.
Just getting in...7:30. I made up a small batch of onion soup at work today..will do French onion soups and some prosciutto and melon first. Just having a cold one after snow blowing the lane way....

We were supposed to go to a wine tasting tonight, but traveling is a bit dicey with the snow, freezing rain, etc. so it's a stay at home night.

Chicken tenders in a lemon wine sauce, served over orzo, broc on the side. One of Mrs. T's faves.

I'm using Macella Hazan's recipe for pork braised in milk.

After eating our dinner of milk braised pork, I have some observations:

1. Because the pork is cooked in milk, you end up with curdled milk solids in the pot. Not visually appealing.

2. The resulting "sauce" is outrageously rich and tasty. If the texture was the only issue, I'd be happy.

3. The recipe calls for a pork loin. This lean cut of meat ends up being a bit dry after slow simmering for hours. The sauce helps a bit.

I'm going to take a look at the Cook's Country version of this recipe for comparison.

Last edited:
Take care MsM.
Just getting in...7:30. I made up a small batch of onion soup at work today..will do French onion soups and some prosciutto and melon first. Just having a cold one after snow blowing the lane way....
MgIgzlY.jpg

...1. Because the pork is cooked in milk, you end up with curdled milk solids in the pot. Not visually appealing.

2. The resulting "sauce" is outrageously rich and tasty. If the texture was the only issue, I'd be happy...
Would it help if you strained it, Andy? That was my first thought. That would get rid of any curds, but I don't know if it would take away any flavor or richness.

...I had a mini-soup-a-thon yesterday and made a 6-quart pot of who-needs-noodles chicken soup...
We decided that we DID need noodles. ;)

Attachments

• 2016-12-17 21.55.00.jpg
    2016-12-17 21.55.00.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 104
After eating our dinner of milk braised pork, I have some observations:

1. Because the pork is cooked in milk, you end up with curdled milk solids in the pot. Not visually appealing.

2. The resulting "sauce" is outrageously rich and tasty. If the texture was the only issue, I'd be happy.

3. The recipe calls for a pork loin. This lean cut of meat ends up being a bit dry after slow simmering for hours. The sauce helps a bit.

I'm going to take a look at the Cook's Country version of this recipe for comparison.
I have made Laura Calder's "Milk Pork" several times. I reduce the "sauce" and then use the immersion blender to make it smooth.

Milk Pork Recipes | Food Network Canada

Love it.

I rewound last night's supper, only this time I cooked farro in seasoned chicken stock to bring the flavours of the chicken and squash into the picture--topped with some lemon juice and lemon zest.

I am nursing my hand. My left ring finger locked down in a grabbing position and I had to pry it open to straighten it out again. Now I am in screaming pain. I scared the hell out of the cat. She was asleep in my lap and jumped so high I pictured cartoon Sylvester hanging upside down from the ceiling. I'm glad there is leftover pot roast and gravy hub can heat. Canned veg but no carb. I can't flex/bend or grab anything with that hand/finger without making my whole hand explode in firey pain.
Sounds like you have trigger finger. I have had it in my thumb--took MONTHS to go away. I have had it in my middle finger for about a year now. Hurts like heck when it gets locked in the bent position. Surgery can be done, but by the time I had an appointment with the surgeon re: my thumb, it had fixed itself. I am hoping the same will happen with my middle finger sometime soon (that it will fix itself).

Back
Top Bottom