Snowy Saturday eats, 01/29/22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Since we're socked in with snow in the mid and northern Atlantic coast, I figure someone should get this thread goin. I'm sure many of us will be cooking until we can get outside to dig out.

I was planning on soup, but my family shot that idea down.

So to start today, I have a bunch of ripe tomatoes that need a purpose. First up is salsa: either mango or pineapple.

Then later on, I have chicken, yu choy, and Thai basil, so I'l be making a stir fry using the ATK Thai Chicken and Basil recipe.

What are you cooking today?

We're having chicken pot pies for dinner tonight.

I plan to make banana muffins later on.

That should get me to cocktail time.

I'm planning on making hot chicken sandwiches with some of the leftover jægerkylling / hunter's chicken. There is lots of sauce left. I see if it needs to be thickened to make it into gravy.

Ok, 1 down. I made pineapple salsa.

And a jalapeno cornbread is in the oven.

The salsa:

Attachments

• 0129221400.jpg
    0129221400.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 26
No real cooking today because I made two pots of soup yesterday. I'm currently heating the cauldron of ham and bean soup. It could take a while - it spent the night in my walk-out cooler, AKA garage. It was 10° when I bought the pot in a half hour ago...

With the barometric pressure dropping, my postdrome from Thursday's migraine is not going away. I didn't even feel up for making the hot chicken sandwiches. We ordered from a newish, dumpling resto, nearby. DH had been wanting to try them. The dumplings were okay, nothing special. It's doubtful that we will order from them again. Oh well. The dumplings were filling and served well enough as supper.

Last edited:
Cucumber thai salad and mexican beans for dinner, extra chili powder. For dessert or snack, we microwaved sweet potatoes and had them with honey/cinnamon sprinkled with hazel nuts.

Cucumber thai salad and mexican beans for dinner, extra chili powder. For dessert or snack, we microwaved sweet potatoes and had them with honey/cinnamon sprinkled with hazel nuts.

If that it were, might I recognize this Cucumber Thai salad, madame?

And you can sprinkle honey, cinnamon, and hazel nuts on even one of the Chiefs little flip flops and make it taste good.

Bucky, yep the same cucumber thai recipe you mentioned previously, second time I made it.
Oh, sweet potatoes, they are so good. I especially like them freshly baked or microwaved. I could eat them plain and I'd be a happy camper.

A bowl of minestrone.

I cooked a pound of navy beans, froze two one-cup portions, made a small casserole of baked beans, and a pot of minestrone with the remaining beans and broth.

I'm looking forward to an old-fashioned baked bean sandwich with a thin slice of raw onion and a squirt of sriracha ketchup. :yum:

[B said:
Aunt Bea[/B];1672404]A bowl of minestrone.

I cooked a pound of navy beans, froze two one-cup portions, made a small casserole of baked beans, and a pot of minestrone with the remaining beans and broth.

I'm looking forward to an old-fashioned baked bean sandwich with a thin slice of raw onion and a squirt of sriracha ketchup. :yum:

That's a new one to me. :yum:

Sounds really good but, how do you keep the beans from falling out of the sandwich? :ermm:

Ross

Well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

I tried to modify 2 recipes from the ATK cookbook, Thai Basil Chicken, and Thai Chicken and Noodles.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't pack that Thai (Muay) punch. Sorta boring.

Sounds really good but, how do you keep the beans from falling out of the sandwich? :ermm:

Ross
AuntBea, Ross, I love baked bean sandwiches when I'm hungry and the beans are cold. I never thought to put onions on them. I might have to try that.

The beans fall out, unless you mash them, and I don't mash them.

I've made the bean sandwich with some homemade baked beans, then a little homemade dijon mustard. I kind of like that.

Family had Black Beans & Rice, which I love but are on my no-no fibre restricted list for awhile.

So I had some leftover butternut soup, dollops of sour creme and toast, then mango sorbet later.

I guess last night was mostly chicken night.

Dinner was Shallow pan fried breaded chicken breast, steamed broccoli and Knorr's creamy chicken rice side.

breadeded_chicken_012922_img_9213-jpg.47685

Ross

I would never spill the beans! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My baked beans are cooked on the stovetop until some of the beans begin to dissolve and release enough starch to congeal into a solid mass when they are baked.

It's the type of country-style beans that I grew up with as opposed to the Boston-style baked beans.

I would never spill the beans! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My baked beans are cooked on the stovetop until some of the beans begin to dissolve and release enough starch to congeal into a solid mass when they are baked.

It's the type of country-style beans that I grew up with as opposed to the Boston-style baked beans.

well. Of course I have to try this. of course I am going to make a huge mess which will have Jeannie shaking her head. :ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

well. Of course I have to try this. of course I am going to make a huge mess which will have Jeannie shaking her head. :ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ross

This is the baked bean recipe that I use.

These days I use 1/4 cup of monk fruit sugar substitute and a chunk of a vacuum-packed ham steak.

Good luck!

Lillian Bigsby’s Home Baked Beans

2 lbs. Great northern beans or small white beans
1 cup granulated white sugar
½ pound salt pork or bacon
1 ½ t salt
¼ t black pepper
½ t baking soda

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain beans, cover with fresh water, add baking soda and bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes with baking soda and drain. Add fresh water to cover the beans by approx. 1 inch and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly until the beans are mushy and begin to break down, approx. 1 ½ -2 hours. Lillian Bigsby said give them a stir and if you think they are done let them cook another ½ hour! (You may add additional water while cooking but, try to resist it.) Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into a baking dish and nestle the chunk of salt pork into the beans. Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 2 to 3 hours, until most of the liquid is absorbed. The exact timing on these baked beans is difficult. I have had them come out of the oven perfectly after 1 ½ hours and I have had to bake them the full 3 hours.

Back
Top Bottom