Some jam boiled over my jars; lids are tight. Is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
Made peach jam and processed about 15 minutes. After taking out and letting cool, I checked the jars and to my dismay some jam had leaked out underneath the ring lid. So I tried to get the lid off but neither me nor my husband can pry it off with our hands. Did it actually seal and is safe to store, or should I be worried that boiled out jam could prevent a complete seal or make it degrade over time?

It's probably just fine. The contents of anything you are water bath canning or pressure canning does boil in the jar. When it boils air boils out and sometimes some of the contents too. If no fibrous particles get between the jar edge and the pliable rubber seal, it will seal.
So then once it is cool, you'll take the ring off, wash the jar if it is sticky. Then put the jar in your pantry (room temperature or cool). If there is a problem with the seal it will get loose instead of having a suction on the jam, then when you notice it we call it a failure. Mostly they don't fail.

I made cases of apple and pear sauces, and it seeps out a little getting the ring sticky but they stay sealed 99% of the time.

It's fine!

Yay thank you! I'd hate to have to process them a third time. Will also probably cut back on processing time as well. Happy cooking everybody!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom