Tender Cube Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've seen more cubed beef recipes than I can count. 99% of them involved dredging in flour, frying, then simmering in some kind of broth, or water. My DDM called this Swiss Steak and included mushrooms in the dish. But you know me. I just can't do things like everyone else does. And DW doesn't like country fried steak, or Swiss steak. So, what do you do with cube steak to make it palatable to DW? The answer is shown in this recipe, through there are others that I could think of as well. I made this last night to rave reviews. I call it, (drum roll please), Teryaki Cubed Steak. What a great name, eh?:LOL:

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. cube steak
1 whole onion, peeled
1/2 tsp. granulated Garlic
2 pinches kosher salt
3 tbs. soy sauce (Kikoman is what I use)
3 tbs. brown sugar
2 tbs. rice-wine vinegar
1/2 cup rice
3/4 cup water
1 more cup of water
1 heaping tbs. cornstarch
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
1/2 cup bamboo shoots
1/4 cup frozen peas
2 large carrots, peeled and bias sliced
2 tbs. cooking oil, or beef tallow

Get the rice cooking by placing the rice into a pot, and covering with the 3/4 cup of water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to its lowest setting, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. When done, fluff with fork and store in the fridge. Actually, you should start the rice just after browning the meat.

Sprinkle salt all over the cube steak. Let sit while you slice and chop everything that needs to be sliced and chopped. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and cup of water in a bowl to be used as a Teriyaki simmering sauce.

Heat the oil in a heavy pan that has a lid. Add the meat and brown on both sides. Add the sauce, turn heat to simmer, place the whole onion in there, and sprinkle with the garlic. Cover and simmer for an hour.

After the meat is done, transfer it and its juice into a pressure cooker. Bring to pressure and cook for 20 minutes more. While the meat is cooking, put the veggies into the same pan as the meat was fried and simmered in. Add a little oil. Stir fry the veggies until crisp/tender. Season with a little salt and 5-spice powder. Remove from heat.

Combine the cornstarch with the 3 tbs. water. When the timer goes off for the meat, turn off the heat and remove pressure according to appliance directions. Remove the lid, and then remove the meat and onion to a platter. Turn heat to medium high and stir in the cornstarch slurry. Remove from heat shen thickened. Add the stir-fried veggies to the sauce. Serve teh sauce and veggies over the meat and rice, or however you prefer to set up the plates.

This technique makes for ridiculously tender cube steak, like eating hamburger. And it's something a little different, and, it tastes great. If DW wasn't eating it too, I'd add black pepper to teh recipe as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom