Thursday night, anything cooking at your house? 2024 May 23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I tried a new to me Danish recipe called, "Ejners Pølsemix". It means Ejner's sausage mix, but the type of sausage is "Bavarian", which is what Danes use as hotdogs. I still have more hotdogs in that package I opened yesterday. The dish has potatoes, onion, hotdogs, cut into 1/2 to 1 cm pieces. There is whipping cream and tomato paste and grated cheese. It was pretty darned good. I served it with a salad of sweet crisp lettuce, red cabbage, sliced carrot and radish, and chives with a couple of blossoms. The salad was dressed with the first of a new batch of vinaigrette.

Ejners pølsemix and a salad with my batch vinaigrette.jpg

i had leftovers from an office meeting and finished up salad and slaw. DH made himself frozen pizza with black olives. I drank a new-to-me canned cocktail Tip-Tov (a Dacquirie) and DH drank bougie beer that he orders from local breweries.

Craig had an appointment to get blood work, so we got an early lunch at the BK Lounge, AKA Burger King. He wasn't hungry at dinner since he got 1 of the huge sandwiches and large fries, but I was so had a deli roast beef small sandwich and a deli pickle.

I cooked for the first time in over a week.
Loin pork chop with a hot honey garlic sauce, homemade chunky applesauce, and a baked sweet potato.
Monochromatic, but tasty.
View attachment 69330

Pork and apples are great together. I made some pork tenderloin with an apple maple sauce a few years back.

The sauce was made with one diced apple, one finely diced shallot, fresh rosemary sprigs, the pork cooking liquid from the bag, 1/4 cup of chicken stock, maple syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.

I bet it would be even better with some heat. Maybe a bit of cayenne pepper???

I really need to make this again. It would also be great on a good pork loin chop.

1716585064009.jpeg

CD

Pork and apples are great together. I made some pork tenderloin with an apple maple sauce a few years back.

The sauce was made with one diced apple, one finely diced shallot, fresh rosemary sprigs, the pork cooking liquid from the bag, 1/4 cup of chicken stock, maple syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.

I bet it would be even better with some heat. Maybe a bit of cayenne pepper???

I really need to make this again. It would also be great on a good pork loin chop.

View attachment 69331

CD
That looks terrific CD, do you have the actual recipe? (It just so happens I have pork tenderloin and apples on hand currently!)

That looks terrific CD, do you have the actual recipe? (It just so happens I have pork tenderloin and apples on hand currently!)

What I posted is as close to a recipe as I generally come up with. I tend to shoot from the hip, and take notes on what I did, but they are usually very bad notes. The rosemary sprigs go in during the cooking, and then you pull them out, kind of like what you do with bay leaves.

I remember adding the cider vinegar because the sauce was too sweet. It needed some acid.

I've used some of my homegrown cayenne peppers the same way as the rosemary sprigs in other sauces. You slit them in half, cook them in the sauce, and remove them. It provides just the right amount of heat.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom