Thursday October 19, '23 Supper Bell is ringing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We're sorting out canning rings to throw out, anything with rust on them and I'm baking a zucchini/barberry bread and zucchini/apricot bread. Supper is meal sized salads with caesar dressing, and taste testing both of the breads.

I made skillet chicken thighs with potatoes, shallots, and garlic. To go with it, steamed broccoli and clementines. Dessert was banana split parfaits (banana, chocolate syrup, strawberry topping, and pineapple topping.)

20231019_170851 (1).jpg

20231019_190911.jpg

I had a thawed chicken breast in the fridge and didn't feel like doing any real cooking tonight, so I'm frying it in a pan and I'm going to have a chicken breast sandwich with Swiss and Parmesan cheese. And maybe some buttered corn because I need to use that up.

I also did a new thing last night that I didn't think would work. Instead of buying microwave popcorn at the store, I bought paper bags and jarred popcorn. You put the popcorn in the paper bag and let it pop in the microwave, then add butter and salt. It actually worked so well that I'm having popcorn for dessert tonight.

I found a recipe online that sounded tasty and adapted it a bit. It all cooks in a cast-iron skillet. First, I dried and seasoned the thighs. Then browned the skin in a combination of avocado oil and butter. Removed the thighs and browned the shallots and garlic a little along with the cubed potatoes. When the potatoes started to brown, I popped the thighs back on and stuck the entire dish into a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes. Let it rest a few in the skillet when done and served.

The chicken was crispy and yet juicy. The potatoes had a light crust but fluffy inside. Next time, I will hesitate on shallots and garlic until I am ready to stir and return to the oven. They were good, but would have burned if I had left them in a nanosecond longer.

Clean up was a snap because cast-iron rocks. ;)

I found a recipe online that sounded tasty and adapted it a bit. It all cooks in a cast-iron skillet. First, I dried and seasoned the thighs. Then browned the skin in a combination of avocado oil and butter. Removed the thighs and browned the shallots and garlic a little along with the cubed potatoes. When the potatoes started to brown, I popped the thighs back on and stuck the entire dish into a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes. Let it rest a few in the skillet when done and served.

The chicken was crispy and yet juicy. The potatoes had a light crust but fluffy inside. Next time, I will hesitate on shallots and garlic until I am ready to stir and return to the oven. They were good, but would have burned if I had left them in a nanosecond longer.

Clean up was a snap because cast-iron rocks. ;)
Thanks! This may be on the menu soon...already have everything on hand!

I will join team roast potatoes. I was trying a new-to-me recipe and they got a little overcooked. Okay, some of them got burnt. Some of that was timing, because I used smaller potatoes than the recipe. But, the temperature was too hot and it should not have been in a sheet pan with edges as prescribed in the recipe. It should have been in a pan with much deeper sides. The liquid spilled over the corner and hit the oven door and the bottom of the oven. I suspect some of it hit the element too, because the smoke detector went off right after that second splash. The potatoes were still tasty and that recipe shows good potential. I will tweak it. The potatoes were crispy on the outside and fluffy inside. I roasted some wild mushroom and pork sausages to go with that and stir fried some veg with Madras curry paste to go with the sausages and potatoes.

Wild mushroom sausages with veg with Madras curry paste, and Greek style roast, lemon potatoes.jpg

@Kathleen, you might want to try this method from J. Kenji López-Alt. It's in these instructions for making croutons. BTW, it made great croutons. It's a great trick for getting garlic flavour onto something roasted without burning the garlic. I wonder if it works with shallots too. It's in his recipe for Caesar Salad.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil with [two cloves] minced garlic and whisk for 30 seconds. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer set over a large bowl and press with the back of a spoon to extract as much oil as possible, leaving garlic behind. Reserve pressed garlic separately. Add bread cubes to garlic oil and toss to coat. Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, toss again, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until croutons are pale golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with 2 more tablespoons Parmesan. Allow to cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom