Trapping a cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
hubby is trying to get that outside cat whom we call Otis, to take him to the vet and have him checked for diseases . The cat is starting to meow at night , sitting by the door. We don't want to let him in because of our 5 indoor cats but hubby did leave the garage door open so Otis could go in there , also had set up a box with a heavy towel for warmth.
Hubby saw Otis go in the pet carrier but when hubby tried to shut and latch the door of the carrier , the cat pushed it open violently and ran off. Now the cat is going to be leery of going in the carrier.

You might be able to coax him in if you cover it with a blanket or towel that has his scent and put some food or treats at the way back.

When we used to fly with our kitty, I would dump treats into the bottom about 2 days before we would leave so she would go in and get comfortable. The day we would leave, I would do the same but then zip her up. Only the first time did she really howl (until she found another treat stashed away).

Good Luck!

Otis 1, Hubby 0

Good luck, the cat's playing a game of cat-n-person with you, and I'm putting my money on the cat.:LOL::LOL:

When I was trying to trap a stray shy pregnant kitty that showed up in our neighborhood during a blizzard, I started by putting a plate of cat food in the carrier every day until I noticed she was comfortable going in there. I then started hanging out near the carrier while she was eating. At first she'd run off, but after just a couple of days she stayed. Soon it was an easy matter to close the door & ring the vet (who I had already warned earlier in the week that I might need a "squeeze in" appointment - lol).

These work, and can be bought cheaper. 1 Sardine inside, and you will have a caught kitty!

That's what I was going to suggest Uncle Bob. They work everytime.
Ladycook, you may even find a your vet has one they can loan you.
When I work for a vet she caight at least 4-5 cats a month in the garbage dumpster. She would take em' in spay or neuter them. If they were adoptable all the better, but if not after they recovered from the spaying or neutering she would turn them loose. I asked her once how many were turned loose and she said she only had to do it once. Both my kitties are dumpster kitties and I adore them.

I've trapped feral cats in Havahart traps before using a can of catfood. Anything with some smell to it, like tuna, would work. I have found they work better (for me) if you only set one door open and leave the other one shut. Set the bait on the other side of the trip mechanism, not on it. You want to get him in there all the way. He'll eventually step on the trip plate. Some places like hardware stores rent them. And the food is always eaten, so I assume they settle down and finish what they started.

Back
Top Bottom