Trimming tomato plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I paid for a kit from my local extension office a couple years ago, dried out a sample, and never did send it in. It's on the to-do list again.

Never had a problem. I just take the "topped" portions and put them into another potted planter. Yup, yuppers...another tomato plant.
I thought I was going to lose them for a bit but here are my replanted vines.
The one on the left now has new flowers, so I should get some tomatoes off it. The one in the middle remains to be seen. I seriously doubt the one on the right will produce anything, but maybe the tomatoes that were already on it when I trimmed will ripen.

Whatever happens, these pots were empty and I had the potting mix, so it cost me nothing for this cool experiment! Thank you! 20200718_170640.jpg

Nice work LisaB. I hope you get a lot of tomatoes for all your efforts.

I thought I was going to lose them for a bit but here are my replanted vines.
The one on the left now has new flowers, so I should get some tomatoes off it. The one in the middle remains to be seen. I seriously doubt the one on the right will produce anything, but maybe the tomatoes that were already on it when I trimmed will ripen.

Whatever happens, these pots were empty and I had the potting mix, so it cost me nothing for this cool experiment! Thank you! View attachment 41930

I got 3 going myself from pruning.
I trimmed most thee leaves off and buried the stem as much as I could 8 - 10 inches. I watered heavily and kept them out of the sun until they didnt look wilted ( about a week or so). Now they look healthy and just hoping there is enough season to get tomatoes out of them. Good thing is they are in pots, so as long as they flowerer and produce fruit, I can always move them indoors to ripen.

Back
Top Bottom