Tuesday, 1/3/17, what's going to be on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like having this freezer inventory :) Made a menu from that: We're going to have chicken chile verde with Mexican rice and refried beans :zorro:

That was good. And so easy! :clap:

Attachments

• 1483494921960.jpg
    1483494921960.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 96
I just popped a 3.5 lb chuck roast in a low oven. Pot roast with carrots, potatoes, onions and gravy a few hours from now. Yum yum yum, can't wait.

I found out one can over indulge with too much Thyme. I was looking at recipes for approx. cooking time/ oven temp and a recipe said use 3 sprigs thyme. I said, good idea. My thyme has many many branches, and to balance the liquid on both sides of the roast, I used 4 total. Well the roast has total herb penetration and the jus is Well Flavored. I didn't have any rosemary that was also called for.

So for dinner I just spooned a little jus over the roast and potatoes. Tomorrow I will tackle gravy, since I want to make stew with leftovers. I think I will cook down some more wine (cab sauv) and add to the sauce and hope it dilutes the thyme flavor a bit.

I should think I have used this much thyme in dishes previous, but not this overwhelming, rather than an accent to the flavors.

I ate the fish chowder, Mom finished off the meatloaf, Dad got his favorite--spaghetti with meat sauce. I HATE, HATE, HATE spaghetti. Ate my lifetime quota by the time I was 18 (every Monday). I make the sauce every now and then for him. Package it in single portions and freeze those. He is the only one still eating spaghetti. Mom does not like anything tomato based.

Re: leftovers, I go with the 1-week rule provided the leftovers are rapidly chilled and then refrigerated. I don't cook large portions, so at best, I have 1-1/2 portions of leftovers to use up. Cooking for seniors has to be like cooking for children...portion sizes are child-sized. 1/2 chicken breast is enough. If the chicken breasts are huge, I only cook one for the three of us. I will toss leftovers in the freezer (or, in the walk-in freezer [a/k/a screen porch] which is -10F right now) until I can re-purpose them (which is what I did with the fish and shrimp, except the smoked fish).

Tomorrow I will clean out the fridge (i.e., toss anything that I didn't find today) and figure out what culinary road we are going to take re: from Day 1 to Day 2/3 with re-purposing leftovers.

Steve, those veggies look like little balls of carbs. ?

Himself and I ran around Amish Country today for soup fixings and other stuff,so we had an easy supper of grilled cheese sandwiches. Butcher shop bacon on wheat bread with Havarti cheese.

tenspeed: If you have left over fish or other ingredients that hasnt been made into a dish, you can store them for longer. 3 days is what recommend for cooked dishes, why not pop them into the freezer if you know you cannot eat them with in 3 days.

The problem is that some of the more nasty bacteria doesn't smell.

Back
Top Bottom