*URGENT* Cooking half a bird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisiscake

Assistant Cook
Hi, season's greetings!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we have got a situation where the bird we have his way too big. It's 4kg for 3 people lol!

Hence, I am thinking about cooking half of it... running a big knife along the breast bone so there's 1 breast (which will feed 2), 1 leg and one wing. I'll then freeze the other half?

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? If so:

- How should I adjust the timings beyond changing my calculation of the time it gives on the packet? It says 3hr 40 right now but I reckon I need to go lower than half, say to 1hr 30min? I know the rule about juices coming clear but I want a rough time so all the other food can be ready at the same time.

Edit: as writing this got a Xmas call from a friend and she tells me this is spatchcocking. So any tips / warnings so it doesn't go dry etc?

Thanks!

:chef:

I recommend not using time as an indicator of doneness. The internal temp measured in the thickest part of the largest piece should be at least 165 degrees F, which is, as near as I can tell is 74 degrees C. You can avoid having a dry bird by not overcooking it, which is another reason to avoid using time as the means of assessing doneness.
If you don't have a meat thermometer and are required to use time, set your oven for 350 degrees F (180 degrees C or Gas mark 4) and cook the bird approximately 20 minutes per pond. This will require you to weigh the pieces for best results.
You can remove the bird a few minutes early, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 15 - 20 minutes before serving. It will continue to cook during this rest time.
I strongly recommend using a thermometer, either analog or digital, to be certain that your turkey is cooked to a safe temp. I also recommend placing the pieces on a rack to keep them off the bottom of the pan.
I am sure others will be along soon, with further advice.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom