What are you most afraid of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was fearless until a few years ago. Now I have difficulty with bridges and some heights.

I drove over the Bay Bridge to Ocean City in Maryland since I was 16 - never bothered me. But now, even if I'm riding with someone, I want them in the middle lane. Preferably behind a truck so we can go slow.

Darn if I lived in Tampa Bay, I'd have to drive all the way around the bay rather than go over that bridge. I nearly had a panic attack.

Semi trucks on the highway frighten me...they go so fast and are intimidating.

Half Baked said:
I drove over the Bay Bridge to Ocean City in Maryland since I was 16 - never bothered me. But now, even if I'm riding with someone, I want them in the middle lane. Preferably behind a truck so we can go slow.

I haven't a fear of hights or anything, but that bridge is HUGE! it sketches me out a little.

Don't even contemplate the Tampa Bay Bridge. Holy Moley, it was so traumatic that I still get a sick and frightened horrible feeling when I think about it.

Those car commercials were there is a bridge over a gorge absolutely do me in. My heart stops and I find myself trying to get air.

I bet the Tampa Bay bridge is 4x higher than the Bay Bridge....no kidding!

Thr thing I fear most would have to be the dark!!!! Yes - I still sleep with a light or the TV on...unless I have company to protect me ...or should I worry about the company - lol

I was afraid of swimming in water where I couldn't touch the bottom, but I'm getting used to it now because I swim regularly in a lake. It still freaks me out to suddenly touch the bottom as I'm coming onto shore though.

As a few have mentioned, I would also say being close to an edge that is high up (vertigo?), also being alone (at night), elevators (minor phobia of crashing down, not clostrophopibic), drowning, waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare, and this one may sound really silly but I avoid walking on sewer drains (gutters) because I think they will cave in :LOL:

Being buried alive. I can't stand to even read about it. In fact, I need to stop reading my own post.:sick:

Heights (I need to take meds to go on a flight)
Panic attacks
Spiders, snakes, lizards, centipedes and scorpions

One thing I have gotten pretty much over is my fear of spiders. I had a huge tarantula sitting on my shoulder when in the back seat of a car in Hawaii - I mean HUGE! I would not get back in the car until my Dad killed it - it took 45 minutes to hunt that sucker down. Every night for about 3 straight years I woke up on the couch - I'd go back in my bedroom and all my covers and sheets were torn off my bed and the light on. I still don't understand why the light was on if I have no recollection of doing it!

Then I had a fear of dogs after being attacked by a chow. The recurring nightmare was that a dog was biting down on my side and I had to be very quiet and walk very carefully because if I startled the dog it would let go and then I would bleed to death - the dog walked with me while clamped to my side, which I think was strange!!!

I know I have a few fears now but they're pretty boring after walking around with a dog "attached" to me and waking up every morning with my room torn completely apart because I had to look for spiders whilst asleep!!!!! :rolleyes:

I have an "edge" fear too kind of - I feel the "pull" of the edge and it scares me.

amber said:
As a few have mentioned, I would also say being close to an edge that is high up (vertigo?), also being alone (at night), elevators (minor phobia of crashing down, not clostrophopibic), drowning, waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare, and this one may sound really silly but I avoid walking on sewer drains (gutters) because I think they will cave in :LOL:

Amber - my husband is an insurance adjuster - he says don't walk on water meters, the grates in sidewalks, sewer drains, etc. He handles a lot of claims where they slip and people break legs, feet, ankles, etc. Mostly from water meters though. Water meters can be hidden in the grass and you don't notice the lids are broken, crooked, or just non-existent.

bullseye said:
Being buried alive. I can't stand to even read about it. In fact, I need to stop reading my own post.:sick:

That's a good one. That really gives me the yips too. I read the Premature Burial a million years ago and it still haunts me. I guess a couple things scare me. I used to be afraid of heights until I tried crewing for a balloon pilot and went up for my first ride. I'm fine now. In some circumstances I get a bit of vertigo, but that's not fear, just a strange reeling sensation. I don't think vertigo is a fear, but more an affliction of sorts.

BC

kitchenelf said
One thing I have gotten pretty much over is my fear of spiders. I had a huge tarantula sitting on my shoulder when in the back seat of a car in Hawaii - I mean HUGE! I would not get back in the car until my Dad killed it - it took 45 minutes to hunt that sucker down.

Where did that tarantula come from? We don't have them here and it's illegal to bring them in. Are you sure it wasn't a brown cane spider?

Maybe it was - I just described it and someone told me what it was. And guess what wasabi?????? I'm not going to look at a picture to figure out which one it was???? lol (guess I'm not THAT over it!) :mrgreen:

It was black and had hairy legs and a hairy body - does that help? And it literally covered my entire shoulder with its legs.

kitchenelf said:
Amber - my husband is an insurance adjuster - he says don't walk on water meters, the grates in sidewalks, sewer drains, etc. He handles a lot of claims where they slip and people break legs, feet, ankles, etc. Mostly from water meters though. Water meters can be hidden in the grass and you don't notice the lids are broken, crooked, or just non-existent.

Ok, so my fear wasn't too irrational! As a matter of fact, my poor dog walked over a snow covered sewer drain (lab, large dog and feet) and his foot was caught which gives you an idea of how large the spacing is between the bars. Smaller critters could fall into these drains!:ohmy:

JoAnn L. - I too share that "edge" fear ... I even have problems being in a room with floor to ceiling windows in a highrise office building. I am one guy that doesn't want a coveted corner office!

Half Baked said:
Darn if I lived in Tampa Bay, I'd have to drive all the way around the bay rather than go over that bridge. I nearly had a panic attack.

I love the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, but it sure is tall.

Back
Top Bottom